Turn vegetable “noodles” into a fun summer meal. Lightly cooked “zoodles” make a healthy pasta alternative. Add fresh vegan pesto for a simple satisfying dish your entire family will love.I am in love with my spiralizer. I resisted getting one for a long time because I have a mandoline to julienne vegetables and I was satisfied with it. I didn’t feel I needed another piece of equipment taking up kitchen space.
Now that I am making the very popular zucchini noodles aka “zoodles” with zucchini from my garden almost daily, I wonder how did I ever live without it.
I am overjoyed by how simple it is to use and all the fun and creative recipes I can make with it. I look forward to making recipes with spiralized butternut squash, apples, pears, sweet potatoes, cucumbers, the list goes on.
In this recipe I use zucchini, yellow zucchini and carrots.
My first try at the carrots didn’t work very well because they weren’t thick enough. I was only getting half circles, not “noodles” I went out to the store to look for the thickest carrots I could find. The thick ones made beautiful orange noodles.
Here is a how-to video from Ali of Inspiralized. It’s a simple, step-by step-video on making perfect carrot noodles.
I cook the “noodles” for a few minutes, enough for them to just sort of relax into the pan instead of being stiff. You don’t want them to be overly mushy but you also don’t want them to be hard and crunchy. Somewhere in between is perfect.
If using a julienne tool only use the outside of the zucchinis. Save the inside of the zucchini to use in salads, I like to grate them.
Add enough Amazing Vegan Pesto to coat the zoodles. During the summer when I grow basil on the porch I keep Amazing Vegan Pesto on hand as a ready made sauce. If you have the pesto already made, this dish comes together in 5 minutes. It is a super easy everyday dish.
If you like this recipe, try these other delicious pesto dishes:
Would you like to have more of these delicious healthy recipes sent to you each week? CLICK TO SIGN UP for my weekly email newsletter of recipes and tips for you to eat well and enjoy your wonderful life.
Note: This post contains Amazon affiliate links. This means that if you click on a link and make a purchase, I will receive a small commission at no cost to you. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Thank you for supporting Eat Well Enjoy Life.Print
Lightly cooked vegetable “zoodles” with vegan pesto makes a healthy pasta alternative. A great summer dish.
- 1 large, thick orange carrot
- 2 yellow squash or yellow zucchini
- 2 green zucchini
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- ½– ¾ cup Amazing Vegan Pesto
- red pepper flakes (optional)
- Create the noodles using a spiralizer. If you don’t have one a mandoline or julienne tool also works Keep carrots separate from the zucchini.
- If using a julienne tool only use the outside of the zucchinis. Save the inside of the zucchini to use in salads.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the carrots and toss for 2 minutes until just softened.
- Add zucchini and yellow squash. Cook until they just sort of relax into the pan instead of being so stiff, about 2 minutes. You don’t want them to be overly mushy but you also don’t want them to be hard and crunchy. Somewhere in between is perfect.
- Add just enough to pesto to coat the noodles. Mix using tongs to spread everything evenly and to avoid clumps. Add more pesto if necessary.
- Once the pesto is evenly distributed, serve, topped with red pepper flakes (optional).
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 5 mins
- Category: Vegetables
- Cuisine: Vegan, Paleo, Mediterranean, Healthy
Keywords: vegan pesto, spiralized noodles