This Roasted Broccoli Salad has tender roasted broccoli, fresh kale, crisp bits of bacon and tangy lemon. It’s easy to make all in one pan and incredibly delicious!
This is a simple recipe with only 5 ingredients. The broccoli is tossed with olive oil, roasted with shallots and a little bit of bacon all in the same pan.
Chopped kale is mixed in at the end while everything is warm allowing it to soften, just a little, making it tender and sweet.
The prep is minimal. Everything happens on a sheet pan while you relax and appreciate the delicious aroma.
A squeeze of lemon is added before serving.
This Roasted Broccoli Salad is one of my favorite ways to eat broccoli. It’s so easy and so good!
Broccoli is a superfood. It contains a lot of good fiber, vitamin C which helps absorb iron, and a surprising amount of protein, too.
Roasting broccoli makes it savory and sweet. The florets come out tender in the middle, with deliciously crispy tips.
Kale is one of the most nutrient dense foods on the planet. It’s high in iron, full of antioxidants and helps reduce inflammation.
Recently I started eating bacon and found it incredibly satisfying. When I eat a little bacon I’m not hungry at all between meals. I love that!
Bacon is included it in this recipe for its rich, salty, umami taste that makes this salad taste amazing. Yes, it contains a good amount of fat, but it’s important to keep in mind that fat is a great source of fuel. I’m not advocating eating bacon every day but it makes certain dishes incredibly delicious and satisfying.
I choose nitrite free bacon, humanely raised and, if I can find it, without sugar.
Tips For Making Crispy Roasted Broccoli
Dry your broccoli. Before mixing it with oil, dry it on a kitchen towel. If it’s too wet it will not get crispy.
Cut the broccoli florets into bite-sized pieces. Try to make plenty of flat edges to lie flush against the pan and caramelize.
Give them a little space. If the florets are crowded they will steam in the oven, and won’t get brown and crisp.
Save the stems. They are delicious, save for a stir fry or soup.
The flavors and textures in this salad are incredible. The broccoli is crunchy and tender, the kale slightly bitter, and there is a salty umami taste from the crispy bacon. A generous squeeze of lemon creates brightness and balance.
The salad can be enjoyed hot or at room temperature. It’s the perfect lunch for 2 people. Or it makes 4 servings as a side dish for dinner.
The leftovers keep nicely for 1 day, but you’ll probably eat it all immediately. If you store it in the refrigerator, don’t add the lemon until you’re ready to serve.
Please let me know how you like this Roasted Broccoli Salad in the comments! I hope it becomes one of your favorite dishes.
If you like this recipe, try these other delicious dishes:
Would you like to have more of these delicious healthy recipes sent to you each week? CLICK TO SIGN UP for my weekly email newsletter of recipes and tips for you to eat well and enjoy your wonderful life.
Note: This post contains Amazon affiliate links. This means that if you click on a link and make a purchase, I will receive a small commission at no cost to you. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Thank you for supporting Eat Well Enjoy Life.Print
This Roasted Broccoli Salad has tender roasted broccoli, fresh kale, crisp bits of bacon and tangy lemon. It’s easy, healthy and incredibly delicious!
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- Olive oil
- Celtic sea salt
- 2–4 slices bacon, cut into small-medium pieces (if your bacon is thick cut it smaller)
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced
- 3 cups kale, stems removed, thinly sliced
- Lemon juice to taste
- Celtic salt, pepper and olive oil to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a sheet pan with parchment for easy cleanup.
- Place broccoli on one side of the sheet pan. Drizzle broccoli with a little olive oil, sprinkle with salt and toss to coat.
- Place bacon and shallots on the other side of the sheet pan.
- Roast for 15 minutes. Check the bacon to ensure it’s cooking evenly and not burning.
- Turn the broccoli to brown evenly.
- Roast 10-15 minutes more until broccoli and bacon are nice and browned.*
- Immediately add the kale while everything is hot, mixing so it wilts.
- Transfer broccoli, bacon, shallots and kale to serving platter.
- Add lemon juice salt, pepper, and olive oil to taste.
- You can eat this hot or cold or room temp.
If your broccoli is brown and the bacon not crisp enough, remove the broccoli and continue to cook the bacon until done. Don’t let the broccoli burn. The time will depend on the thickness of your bacon and the size you cut the pieces.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Salad, Side Dish
- Method: Roast, Chop
- Cuisine: Paleo, Gluten-Free, Keto, Whole30
Keywords: Roasted Broccoli Salad, Roasted Broccoli