This is a warm and comforting, grain-free porridge that’s full of vegetables, fruit, protein, fiber and healthy fat. It’s a surprisingly delicious paleo breakfast that cooks up in minutes and has no added sweeteners. If you use hemp or coconut milk it’s nut free too. Vegan, Whole 30, AIP compliant and tastes like traditional oatmeal.
I am in love with this porridge. It makes me feel warm and satisfied.
In the winter I crave a warm ‘oatmeal’ like porridge for breakfast. But since I don’t eat grains the only option has been a porridge with nuts. That’s fine, but this porridge is special because it’s made with apples and cauliflower. That means vegetables for breakfast. Yay! I try and eat nutrient dense vegetables at every mean.
I know cauliflower in porridge sounds a bit weird, but trust me on this one and make this recipe. You will not be disappointed!
Ingredients for Apple Cinnamon Paleo Porridge
There are only 8 ingredients in this paleo breakfast recipe and they’re easy to find in most supermarkets. You may have some of them in your pantry already.
Apples – any type will do. Organic is best but we’re peeling the skin so don’t stress about it.
Cauliflower Rice – Many stores sell cauliflower already riced in bags which certainly makes it easy. If you’re making your own there are 2 options:
If using a box grater cut the cauliflower into large chunks and use the medium-sized holes to grate into “rice.”
If using a food processor cut into small pieces and pulse to chop the cauliflower into small pieces that look like “rice.”
I make the porridge with hemp milk. Click here for homemade hemp milk recipe. It has more protein than any of the other milks and is nut free. The taste is slightly grassy, I like it but almond milk has a lighter taste. Here are 2 store bought brands of almond milk I like: Malk and Pacific Foods.
Shredded Coconut – Coconut gives the porridge a nice texture. Shredded is better than flakes.
Chia Seeds – These powerful little seeds provide protein and fiber. They also thicken the porridge.
Dates – Sweetening your porridge with dates adds vitamins and minerals and fiber.
How to Make Apple Cinnamon Paleo Porridge
What I love about this recipe is that it’s super easy to make.
Step 1: Heat up your oil. Add apples and cauliflower rice. Saute briefly. Add chia seeds.
Step 2: Add the diary free milk, shredded coconut, dates and cinnamon, bring to a boil while stirring. Cover, and cook another 3-4 minutes until the apples and cauliflower are soft and the liquid has thickened. Serve hot with optional toppings.
Toppings for Apple Cinnamon Paleo Porridge
You can get creative with your toppings or leave it simple.
I like cacao nibs and extra hemp milk. Bananas are good, it reminds me of eating cereal as a kid. It’s also good with berries and coconut yogurt. Try a sprinkle of chopped nuts or a drizzle of almond butter.
You can play around with all kinds of toppings to make this paleo porridge different every day. Have fun with it. I love playing with my food!
How to Store Leftovers
The porridge tastes best freshly made. If you have any leftover it can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
To reheat, put porridge into a pot with some extra dairy free milk and stir continuously over low heat.
Now you can start your day with a warm, cozy, comforting bowl of delicious porridge that’s easy to make. It’s unsweetened, made with nutrient dense cauliflower, high in fiber, protein and healthy fats.
The best part is it looks and tastes like ‘real oatmeal.’
If you like this recipe try these other delicious grain free breakfast recipes.
If you give this recipe a try, please let us know what you think! Give it some stars or leave a comment. ♥
Would you like to have more of these delicious healthy recipes sent to you each week? CLICK TO SIGN UP for my weekly email newsletter of recipes and tips for you to eat well and enjoy your wonderful lifePrint
This is a creative, grain-free spin on traditional porridge that’s full of vegetables, fruit, protein, fiber and healthy fat.
- 1 tablespoon ghee or coconut oil
- 1 1/2 cups apple, peeled and cut into ½ inch pieces, (1 large or 2 small)
- 1 cup cauliflower rice
- 1/8–1/4 teaspoon Celtic sea salt
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds (leave out for AIP)
- 1 cup unsweetened hemp milk, almond milk, cashew milk or drinkable coconut milk (plus more for serving). See notes above for links to different brands and homemade recipes.
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup chopped medjool dates or raisins
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Cacao nibs
- Strawberries or blueberries
- Additional diary free milk
- Paleo/vegan friendly yogurt, like coconut or almond.
- Chopped nuts
- Coconut butter or unsweetened almond butter
- Heat a medium sauté pan over med-low heat and add the oil.
- Add apples and cauliflower, sprinkle with salt, stir, and cook for about 1-2 minutes, stirring occasionally, until apples and cauliflower begin to soften.
- Add chia seeds and stir.
- Add the diary free milk, shredded coconut, dates and cinnamon, stir.
- Raise the heat and bring to a simmer, while stirring. Cover and cook another 3-4 minutes until the apples and cauliflower are soft and the liquid has thickened. Add more milk if it starts to get too thick.
- Serve hot with optional toppings.
- Store covered in the refrigerator for 2-3 days, heat prior to serving and then add toppings. Enjoy!
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: Vegan, Paleo, Gluten-Free, Whole30, AIP, Nut-Free
Keywords: paleo breakfast, grain free porridge, grain free breakfast porridge