This Berry Easy Summer Crisp is made with blueberries, strawberries and blackberries with a nutty walnut crust. It’s naturally sweetened, gluten free, vegan and paleo. An absolutely perfect dessert for the Fourth of July.
I love desserts but nothing too heavy in the summer. After all I want to look great in my bathing suit.
Summer time is berry time. What better way to celebrate than with a mixed berry crisp. It’s a light nourishing dessert, naturally sweetened, easy to make, comforting and satisfying.
Berries are one of the most nutritious fruits; low glycemic and high in antioxidants. Blueberries in particular have unique anti-inflammatory phytonutrients that aren’t in any other plants.
You can use any berries available. I found organic strawberries, blueberries and blackberries in my local supermarket. How great is that, a gift from the universe! I would have used traditional berries but I prefer the organic ones. Raspberries are also good.
The recipe is easy to make: Prepare the crisp topping in one bowl. Mix together almond flour, coconut, and walnuts. Add a little coconut sugar for sweetness and then coconut oil brings it all together.
Put the berries into a large bowl. Sprinkle with a little arrowroot (or organic cornstarch) to thicken the berry juice. Mix in the sweetener. I use maple syrup because I like the mild taste. Honey or coconut sugar would also be fine. You can make it without and sweetener if you prefer, since the berries are already sweet.
Pour the berries into an 8 x 8, two quart baking pan. If you have a different size that’s okay too as long as it’s 2 quarts! Lemon juice is sprinkled on for brightness and acidity.
Pop it into the oven and in 45 minutes it’s ready to eat. The top gets crisp and golden and the berries get juicy creating a nice sweet sauce. Yummy, warm berry crisp right out of the oven! WOW it’s amazing.
This Very Berry Summer Crisp makes the perfect summertime dessert for dinner parties, BBQs, and weekend guests. It’s delicious on its own, but it’s nice topped with Coconut Whipped Cream or your favorite dairy free ice cream.
I’ll be eating it and serving it to my guests all summer long.
If you like fruit crips/cobblers check out my Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler, Paleo Blueberry Cobbler or Pear Raspberry Cobbler. Or make up your own variations with any fruits you like. The recipe can be easily adapted.
If you like this recipe try these other delicious fruit cobbler’s:
- Paleo Blueberry Cobbler
- Nut Free Apple Raspberry Cobbler
- Amazing Peach Cobbler
- Peach Almond Shortbread Tart
If you would like to have more of these delicious healthy recipes sent to you each week, CLICK TO SIGN UP for my email newsletter of recipes and tips for you to eat well and enjoy your wonderful life.
If you try this crisp, let us know how it goes! Leave a comment, rate it, and if possible take a picture and tag it #eat_well_enjoy_life on Instagram! I always love hearing from you and seeing what you make at home.Print
Berry Easy Summer Crisp
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
A simple mixed berry crisp that’s vegan, paleo and gluten-free!
- 5 tablespoons coconut oil, melted (75 grams)
- 1 cup almond flour (112 grams)
- 5 tablespoons shredded coconut (25 grams)
- 1 ¼ cup roughly chopped walnuts (125 grams)
- ¼ cup coconut sugar, (48 grams)
- Pinch of Celtic sea salt
- 8 cups mixed berries; I used strawberries, blueberries and blackberries
- ½ cup organic maple syrup, or honey
- 4 tablespoons arrowroot
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Gently melt coconut oil in a small pan.
- In a medium bowl, add the almond flour, coconut, walnuts, coconut sugar, and salt. Stir to combine.
- Pour in coconut oil and mix until it’s evenly distributed. Set aside.
- Put berries into a large bowl.
- Sprinkle with arrowroot.
- Pour maple syrup (or other sweetener) over berries and gently mix to combine.
- Transfer berries to an 8 x 8, two quart baking pan. Sprinkle with lemon juice.
- Immediately top with crust. Don’t let it sit, it will start to get soft.
- Bake for 45 minutes until filling is bubbling and top is nicely brown.
- Serve alone or with coconut whipped cream.
Nutrition information is for 1 serving without any coconut whipped cream.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 45
- Category: Paleo, Vegan, Gluten Free, Seasonal
Keywords: cobbler, crisp, fruit dessert, berry cobbler, berry crisp