Simple, vegan and gluten-free, grain free black bean burgers with only 6 ingredients.
Tender hearty and flavorful.
I like these burgers because they are easy to make and taste great. Aside from the spices they only have a few ingredients. They are high in protein and fiber. We are eating them in the Nourishing Foods Fall Cleanse since they are very pure with no eggs, dairy, grains or gluten. The texture is a little softer than veggie burgers made with grains and eggs. The spices give them a savory, slightly smoky flavor.
I am not going to tell you they taste like a meat burger, they don’t. I don’t think veggie burgers are meant to taste like meat. They are a delicious satisfying high protein meal on their own.
I don’t serve my burgers on a bun I prefer serving them on lettuce with tomato and some type of sauce. These burgers are good topped with kim chi and tahini dressing. They would also be good with avocado mayonnaise, mustard and slices of avocado.
I use organic BPA free canned black beans, Eden is a good brand. The beans can be mashed up with the spices in a food processor or by hand with a fork. Don’t over process them. The burgers are better when the beans still have a little texture.
Mix the beans with the shredded zucchini and ground flax. At this point they need to sit for about 15 minutes to allow the flax to gel everything together. Form them into patties.
I saute them in a pan with coconut oil. It gives them a great texture and flavor but you can also bake them in the oven. Bake for 15 minutes at 350ºF then gently flip them and bake for another 10 minutes, or so, until the patties are golden brown and firm
They also make great take out food if you are traveling.
- chopped kim chi or sauerkraut
- tahini dressing
- avocado mayonnaise
- fresh tomato slices
- fresh cucumber slices
Enjoy the recipe and please leave me a comment below. I always love to hear how you are doing and what you like to eat.Print
Simple, vegan and gluten-free, grain free black bean burgers with zucchini. Tender hearty and flavorful.
- 1 can (15 ounce) black beans (1½ cups), rinsed and drained, (Eden is organic and BPA free)
- ½ teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¾ teaspoon Celtic sea salt
- 1 ½ cups shredded zucchini
- 8 tablespoons ground flax seed
- 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil for sautéing
- Pulse the black beans with the spices until it is chopped up but not mushy. If you don’t have a food processor mash them with a potato masher or fork. The food processor makes it easier.
- Put the bean mixture into a bowl with the zucchini, ground flax seed and olive oil.
- Mix together with a fork until evenly distributed.
- Let it sit to let the flax gel everything together, about 15 minutes
- Form into 8 burgers and set aside on a plate.
- Heat a large heavy sauté pan on medium. Add the coconut oil. Cook burgers until golden on each side. If necessary cook in 2 batches.
These will keep, cooked or uncooked for up to 5 days in the refrigerator. You can also freeze leftover patties after they have been cooked.
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: Main Dish
- Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Grain Free