A delicious grain free risotto made with cauliflower and peas cooked in a saffron broth until it reaches a creamy consistency. A light comforting spring dish.
To make a “risotto” without grains I chose cauliflower. I often make Cauliflower Rice so why not risotto?
As I heal my digestion I have been able to cut back on the medication I take for Hashimotos. Everything goes back to digestion. Hippocrates says “All disease begins in the gut”. As I heal my gut I heal the rest of my body. It is amazing how much healing can be done with food.
I added saffron because I love the taste and it is a superfood. Studies show that saffron offers many health benefits including mood support, reduction in cravings, as well as enhanced learning and memory support. Read the full article on saffron here.
Peas are a perfect spring food. They brighten up the dish and have a magical sweetness.
The success of this dish comes from having a full flavored stock. A rich homemade vegan broth or chicken broth is ideal. If you buy one from the store look for broth rather than stock, it has more flavor.
The recipe can be served as a main dish for a light meal or as a side dish with fish or chicken.
Enjoy the recipe and check out the video.
Enjoy this grain free risotto made with cauliflower. The saffron gives it a rich complex flavor that is balanced with sweet green peas.
- 1 ¼ cups vegetable or chicken stock, more as needed
- 1 pinch saffron (about 1/4 tsp)
- 1 medium head of cauliflower (about 5 cups)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small leek, white and light green part, thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon Celtic sea salt
- ¾ cup peas, fresh or frozen (I like frozen baby peas)
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Fresh pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (optional)
- Freshly grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- Heat 1¼ cups of stock in a saucepan. Turn off the heat. Add the saffron threads and let steep for 30 minutes.
- Chop the cauliflower into small pieces. Add the cauliflower to a food processor. Pulse to create a finely chopped cauliflower that resembles a grain, such as quinoa or rice.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a saute pan, on medium-low heat. Sauté the leeks and garlic for a few minutes, until softened.
- Add the cauliflower, salt and 1 cup of the saffron-vegetable broth.
- Cook for 8-10 minutes until the cauliflower is softened. Add more vegetable broth as it is cooking if the pot starts to get dry.
- Rinse and drain the frozen peas. Add peas to the cauliflower. Let cook 2 minutes until the peas are heated through.
- Add parsley and a little fresh pepper. Stir. Taste to adjust salt.
- Serve in bowls topped with olive oil or parmesan cheese
- Category: Vegetable, Main Dish
- Cuisine: Healthy, Paleo, Vegan
Until next time, have a fantastic day and enjoy the recipe. Please leave a comment below. I always love hearing about your health journey and your thoughts and feedback on making your own delicious food at home.