This is my post cleanse sweet treat. The Spring Renewal Cleanse was great. We had an amazing group of people from all around the world. In this cleanse I talked about the importance of maintaining a balanced blood sugar, especially for adrenal support. We always want to have a balanced blood sugar not just during the cleanse. This does not mean we can never eat anything sweet. I like to include foods with all 5 tastes in my diet sweet, sour, bitter, pungent and astringent.
In order to satisfy my sweet tooth I like to create healthy sweet treats. A healthy sweet is one that does not spike my blood sugar and provides me with some nutrition. Today I came up with a new “candy”. It is made with coconut oil which has medium chain fatty acids to give you energy and help burn fat. I put in hemp seeds for protein. I added some goji berries which are full of anti-oxidants. I then added some almond butter to make them taste a little like a healthy “peanut butter cup”. I used the low glycemic sweeteners coconut sugar and stevia. These candies contain protein, fat and fiber so no sugar spike will occur. They take 5 minutes to make and 15 minutes to chill. I love healthy sweets.
Chocolate Goji Berry Almond Candies
3 Tb raw organic cacao powder
3Tb organic coconut oil
2 Tb unsweetened almond butter
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
4 tsp coconut sugar
15-20 drops liquid stevia (to taste)
2 Tb hemp seeds
2 Tb goji berries (the dryer and harder, the better; soft ones will not grind up as well)
pinch of Celtic sea salt
- In a small heavy pan gently melt coconut oil over very low heat.
- Add cacao powder stirring occasionally until mixture is completely liquefied and evenly combined.
- Add almond butter, stir with a fork or mini whisk until smooth.
- Add coconut sugar, stir until dissolved.
- Remove from heat and stir in, vanilla and stevia.
- Place goji berries hemp seeds, and salt in a coffee grinder. Grind until fine. (There shouldn’t be any pieces of goji visible.)
- Add goji/hemp mixture to the pan and whisk until smooth and well combined
- Pour mixture into paper mini muffin liners
- Transfer to freezer or refrigerator to set (about 15 minutes in freezer, 30 minutes in refrigerator).
- Store them in airtight container in freezer or refrigerator.