This Mushroom Risotto with cauliflower rice has a rich creamy sauce and an umami mushroom taste that’s as warm and comforting as traditional risotto. It’s just as easy to make but it’s grain free and full of nutrient rich vegetables. A paleo, gluten free recipe with a vegan option and Whole30 compliant.
I love risotto. I consider it a comfort food. But since I’m not eating rice these days I wanted to come up with a grain free alternative that would be as satisfying as regular risotto.
I use cauliflower rice and mushrooms simmered in a rich sauce of chicken broth and cashew milk.
The result is a grain free risotto that’s comforting and complex with layers of flavors meld together perfectly..
The method is simple. Sauté shallots and garlic for a few minutes. Add mushrooms and sauté until they’re softened.
Add in white wine to cook out. I’ll give you substitutions if you don’t have wine or don’t want to use it.
Next add the cauliflower rice which you can buy already “riced” to make things easier.
In order to make the risotto creamy, you’ll simmer the cauliflower rice in chicken broth and cashew milk. Then add a little arrowroot to thicken it.
A little spinach is then added to give it some color and extra nutrition.
I like to add a tablespoon of grass fed butter for extra creaminess, but it’s optional.
This risotto has sweetness from shallots and an earthy flavor from mushrooms and stock.
Serve it topped with parmesan cheese.
Shiitake mushrooms have a deeper flavor but baby bella mushrooms are good too.
A small red or yellow onion can be used instead of shallots.
Instead of the 1/4 cup white wine, add an additional 2 tablespoons stock and 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar or rice vinegar.
I like the creamy rich flavor of cashew milk but coconut milk is also good. I’ve made it both ways.
Vegan Mushroom Risotto
If you’re vegetarian or vegan use vegetable stock.
Instead of topping your risotto with parmesan cheese you can top it with vegan parmesan. If that isn’t available stir in 2-3 tablespoons nutritional yeast. Here it’s better to stir it in rather than sprinkling it on top.
Leave out the butter, the sauce will still be creamy.
This Creamy Mushroom Risotto is satisfying, comforting, full of vegetables, “cheesy” and easy to make.
Serve it as a main course for 2 people or side dish for 4. It’s a big portion and filling enough to be a meal. It’s so delicious and satisfying you’ll eat it all.
If you like this recipe you may also like these other cauliflower rice dishes.
Please let me know how you like this recipe in the comments! I appreciate your feedback so much. Let me know what you think of this grain free risotto. ♥
Would you like to have more of these delicious healthy recipes sent to you each week? CLICK TO SIGN UP for my weekly email newsletter of recipes and tips for you to eat well and enjoy your wonderful life.Print
A creamy grain free risotto with a rich umami mushroom taste.
- 1 cup chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large shallot, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups shiitake or baby bella mushrooms, sliced, if large cut the slices in half
- Celtic sea salt and black pepper
- 3 cups raw cauliflower, riced
- 1/4 cup white wine or another 2 tablespoons broth and 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- ½ cup cashew milk or coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot
- 1 1/2 cups baby spinach, coarsely chopped
- 1–2 tablespoons grass fed butter (optional)
- Celtic sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup parmesan, vegan parmesan or 2–3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- Heat olive oil in a large sauté pan on medium-low.
- Add shallots sauté 2 minutes until they begin to soften.
- Add garlic sauté 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Add sliced mushrooms, season with salt and pepper. Cover and sauté 5-6 minutes until mushrooms are soft. If the pan gets dry add a little stock, don’t let it burn.
- Add wine (if using and stir) or vinegar.
- Cook 1 minute to let the mushrooms absorb the wine or vinegar.
- Add riced cauliflower, broth, and cashew or coconut milk, turn up to medium simmer for 5-8 minutes stirring frequently until cauliflower is cooked.
- Mix arrowroot with 2 tablespoons water or broth until dissolved.
- Add to the cauliflower. Mix until thick, about 30 seconds.
- Add spinach. Simmer until spinach is wilted, 30-60 seconds. Turn off the heat.
- Stir in butter if using. Taste to adjust salt and pepper.
- Serve sprinkled with parmesan or vegan parmesan.
Nutrition information is with chicken bone broth and parmesan cheese.
- Category: Main Dish, Side Dish
- Cuisine: Paleo, Grain Free, Gluten-Free, Whole30, Vegan Option
Keywords: mushroom risotto, mushroom risotto recipe, paleo risotto