Since it is really cold outside I am eating soup for breakfast these days instead of a smoothie. I like to include protein, healthy fats, fiber and greens in my morning meal. In this soup you get protein from the spinach and bone broth. You can use vegetable stock if you are vegan, as spinach has quite a lot of protein. Serve it with a sprinkle of hemp seeds for additional protein. The fat comes from the coconut oil and coconut milk. The fiber comes from all the vegetables.
This is an easy soup to make with a limited amount of ingredients. It takes about 15 minutes. The flavor of the soup will depend on the curry powder you use. Pick one with the amount of spiciness you like. Some curry powders are quite hot while others like Madras curry powder are mild. The turmeric is anti-inflammatory and gives the soup a nice yellow color. The spinach and celery are highly alkaline.Print
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 medium head cauliflower, stems trimmed, coarsely chopped (about 6 cups)
- Celtic sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups chicken bone broth or vegetable broth
- water as needed
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk
- 1 cup firmly packed spinach, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- hemp seed or red pepper flakes for garnish (optional)
- Heat a large soup pot. Add coconut oil, onions and celery.
- Sauté on medium low for 5 minutes until onions are soft, stirring frequently so they don’t get brown.
- Add garlic, curry powder and turmeric. Stir to coat with the oil. Sauté 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add cauliflower, salt and pepper. Stir to coat with the spices.
- Add stock and as much water as needed to just cover the cauliflower. Turn up to high and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and simmer on medium 20 minutes until cauliflower is tender.
- Let cool a few minutes.
- Blend with the coconut milk until smooth.
- Return to the pot, add spinach and heat until the spinach is just wilted, about 2 minutes.
- Taste to adjust salt and pepper.
- Serve with a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Garnish with hemp seeds or red pepper flakes (optional)
The amount of salt will depend on your curry powder.
- Category: Paleo, Vegan, Gluten Free, Dairy Free
- Cuisine: Healthy, Indian
Enjoy the recipe, it will alkalize your body, soothe inflammation and make you feel warm and wonderful inside.