This Cozy Mushroom Vegetable Soup is full of mushrooms, hearty fall vegetables and kale. It’s a super satisfying, warm and cozy, creamy and comforting soup that’s dairy-free, gluten-free, Whole30 and AIP compliant. You’ll feel like you’re getting a warm hug.
As the weather gets colder I’m in need of something warm and cozy. Which means it’s time to cook a new, super comforting soup recipe like this Mushroom Vegetable Soup.
I’ve loaded this soup up with lots of mushrooms and seasonal veggies. The savory seasonings and a little coconut milk make it delicious, hearty, sweet and savory and super healthy. ♡
What You Need to Make this Cozy Mushroom Vegetable Soup
- Mushrooms: Lots of them give it a rich umami taste. I like baby bella mushrooms, they have an earthy taste and are easy to find. White button mushrooms or shiitake mushrooms will also work.
- Aromatics: This is the foundation of your soup, onion, carrots, celery, and garlic.
- Sweet Potatoes: They provide healthy carbs which makes the soup satisfying. Butternut squash can also be used.
- Italian Seasoning plus a bay leaf, gives a savory flavor to the soup. Italian seasoning is a blend of dried Italian-inspired herbs such as basil, marjoram, oregano, rosemary, and thyme. It’s makes seasoning your soup super easy.
- Chicken or Vegetable Broth: Make your your own or store bought
- Coconut Milk: This gives the soup a rich creamy taste but since there isn’t much you won’t taste the coconut at all.
- Kale: I add in lots of fresh kale at the end, but you could use baby spinach or Swiss chard.
How to Make Cozy Mushroom Vegetable Soup
Use a large stock pot or dutch oven for this soup. Make sure all ingredients are chopped and ready to go before beginning.
Start with the aromatics. Cook the onions, celery and carrots, stirring until soft, then add the garlic.
Add the sliced mushrooms, bay leaf and Italian seasoning. Mix to coat the mushrooms with the seasonings.
Add the broth and sweet potatoes and bring to a boil, then cook until the potatoes are tender 10-15 minutes.
Stir in the kale and coconut milk and simmer until kale is wilted, about 3 minutes.
Add fresh ground black pepper and additional salt if desired, then remove from heat and serve.
Thanks to all the vegetables, rich creamy flavor and delicious umami mushrooms, it is a cold-weather essential that will make you feel like you’re getting a big hug.
I hope you love the soup and find it as warm and comforting as I do!
More warm, cozy, healthy soups for you to enjoy:
If you would like to have more of these delicious healthy recipes sent to you each week, CLICK TO SIGN UP for my email newsletter of recipes and tips for you to eat well and enjoy your wonderful life.Print
This Cozy Mushroom Vegetable Soup is full of mushrooms, hearty fall vegetables and kale.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1small red onion, peeled and diced (1 cup)
- 1 cup carrots, cut into small chunks (2 medium carrots)
- 1 cup celery, diced (2 ribs celery)
- 1/2 teaspoon Celtic sea salt
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks (1 large )
- 3 cups baby bella mushrooms, sliced (10 ounces)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 4 cups chicken, (homemade) or vegetable broth
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 4 cups of kale, roughly chopped with thick stems removed
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large stockpot over medium-low heat. Add onion carrots and celery and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until soft and translucent.
- Stir in the garlic and cook for an additional 1minute, stirring occasionally, until fragrant.
- Add in the mushrooms, bay leaf and Italian seasoning. Stir to coat mushrooms with the seasonings.
- Add sweet potatoes and broth, raise the heat to high, cooking until the soup reaches a simmer. Then reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until sweet potatoes are just getting tender (don’t let them get too soft), stirring occasionally.
- Add the coconut milk and kale to the soup and stir to combine. Cook 3-4 minutes until kale is wilted.
- Add pepper and additional salt or Italian seasoning to taste.
- Serve warm.
Nutrition information is with chicken broth.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Saute
- Cuisine: Vegan, Paleo, Gluten-Free, Whole30
Keywords: mushroom soup, vegetable soup,
Note: This post contains Amazon affiliate links. This means that if you click on a link and make a purchase, I will receive a small commission at no cost to you. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Thank you for supporting Eat Well Enjoy Life.