Grilling romaine lettuce transforms it into an amazing vegetable. The centers soften slightly and the tips char beautifully. Their mildly bitter taste pairs well with grilled burgers, chicken or fish. You can also chop it up for a great flavored salad. Easy to make in only 10 minutes.
If you’ve never grilled romaine before you’re in for a treat. It’s incredibly easy and tastes so good.
Toppings for Grilled Romaine Lettuce
To make it simple I sprinkle with olive oil, lemon and fresh herbs. Thyme and oregano enhance the natural flavors of the lettuce and lemon brightens the entire dish. Basil would also be nice.
Topping it with chimichurri sauce is also fabulous as it gets into the crevices between the leaves.
Another great way to enjoy grilled romaine is topped with grated parmesan, goat cheese or vegan parmesan.
How To Grill Romaine Lettuce
- Start by slicing the the head of lettuce VERTICALLY, that is lengthwise. This keeps the leaves connected to the core, and stays together nicely.
- Heat grill to medium high and clean the grates. Brush them with a little oil.
- Brush lettuce halves liberally with olive oil, cut side and back side. Then sprinkle each halve with salt.
- Grill for 3 minutes, cut side down, pressing with a spatula to give the lettuce beautiful sear marks and infuse a smokiness.
- Remove from grill. Drizzle with additional olive oil and squeeze fresh lemon juice over each half.
- Sprinkle each half with coarse sea salt, a little fresh black pepper and fresh herbs or any topping you like.
Health Benefits of Romaine Lettuce
Romaine has many great benefits you will be surprised to discover.
- Romaine has a good amount of protein for a vegetable, 7.7 grams per head.
- It also contains all 9 essential amino acids.
- Romaine is high in fiber which removes toxins and cholesterol.
- It’s rich in minerals including calcium, magnesium, potassium, and iron. The potassium in it regulates your blood pressure making it good for your heart.
- Romaine lettuce is an excellent way to get the calcium your body needs for strong bones and teeth. Each head contains more than 20 percent of the RDA.
- It’s rich in B vitamins and is a good source of vitamin A and C.
You’ll love how easy Grilled Romaine is to make. You won’t believe how good the lettuce tastes as it’s transformed into a tender vegetable with a slightly bitter and smoky taste.
If you give this recipe a try, please let us know what you think! Give it some stars or leave a comment. ♥
If you like this recipe, try these other delicious grilled vegetables:
Would you like to have more of these delicious healthy recipes sent to you each week? CLICK TO SIGN UP for my weekly email newsletter of recipes and tips for you to eat well and enjoy your wonderful life.Print
Grilling romaine lettuce transforms it into an amazing vegetable. The centers soften slightly & the tips char beautifully. Easy to make in only 10 minutes.
- 2 heads of fresh and firm romaine lettuce hearts, cut vertically to make 4 halves
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Celtic sea salt
- black pepper
- 1 lemon, cut in half, about 1/4 cup
- 2 tablespoons fresh herbs (oregano and thyme are my favorites, basil would also be nice)
- Maldon sea salt flakes (for serving)
- Preheat your grill to medium high, clean and oil the grates.
- Brush lettuce halves liberally with 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, both sides. Then sprinkle each half with 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Place on the grill cut side down.
- Grill for 3 minutes, pressing with a spatula to make sure the lettuce gets a good sear.
- Use tongs to flip, grill for 2 more minutes.
- Remove from grill.
- Sprinkle with a little more salt (Maldon salt if available) and fresh black pepper for each half, drizzle with remaining olive oil. Squeeze fresh lemon juice over each half.
- Top with fresh herbs or topping of choice.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Vegetable, Side Dish
- Method: Grill
- Cuisine: Vegan, Paleo, Gluten-Free, Low Carb, Whole30
Keywords: grilled romaine, easy grilled romaine, grilled lettuce