This is a recipe is one I learned from Ms. Vy the chef/owner of the Morning Glory Restaurant in Hoi An, Vietnam. In the picture we served it with Mango Salad.
1 ¾ lb boneless chicken thighs, skin off (you could also use breasts)
½ cup fresh turmeric or 1Tb ground turmeric (the fresh turmeric is great if you ever come across it)
1/3 cup lemon grass very finely chopped
½ tsp Celtic sea salt
1 Tb coconut sugar
½ tsp coarse black pepper
½ tsp five spice powder
4 kaffir lime leaves sliced finely (found in Asian Grocery stores – if you can’t get them, the dish will be good without)
2 Tb garlic pounded
2 Tb shallots pounded
1 tsp dried chilli flakes
1 tsp dark sesame oil
1 Tb fish sauce
8 wooden skewers soaked in water 1 hour
- Cut the thighs into 16 pieces. Place in a medium bowl.
- Add salt, sugar, black pepper, turmeric if using dried, and five spice. Mix well.
- Pound the garlic, shallots, lemongrass, turmeric if using fresh. Use a mortar and pestle or food processer to get it very fine.
- Add to chicken with lime leaves, sesame oil and fish sauce. Mix well. (You may want to use plastic gloves to stop your hands turning yellow if using especially if using fresh turmeric.)
- Marinate 30 minutes.
- Thread 2 pieces onto each skewer.
- Grill or broil 5-6 minutes on each side on low heat.
Leave a comment below letting me know if you make this dish and how it comes out.