Lemon Blueberry Cake is a moist lemon almond cake layered with juicy blueberries. Enjoy this bright lemony cake for Mother’s Day and all summer long. It will become one of your favorite desserts. You’ll love that it’s paleo and gluten-free.
The combination of lemons and blueberries makes my heart sing. The flavor is incredible and they have unique properties that are really good for your body.
Blueberries are among the world’s most powerful sources of antioxidants helping to reduce inflammation in your body. The flavonoids and phytonutrients found in blueberries help your body produce mood boosting serotonin improving your sense of well being. (1)
Lemons are incredibly helpful in reducing acidity and inflammation in your stomach, joints, and muscles.
I know we’re eating a delicious cake here but isn’t it good to know you are filling your body with health promoting nutrients?
Watch How To Make Lemon Blueberry Cake
Tips for Making Lemon Blueberry Cake
- There is a lot of lemon zest in this cake. I recommend using a lemon zester. Get organic lemons if possible. I find making the lemon zest the only hard part of making this cake.
- Type of Pan – I wanted to make the cake round but, the batter won’t fit into a standard 9″ cake pan. You need a 9″ spring form pan because it’s deeper. Normally I would go out to the store and buy one, but alas we’re ‘sheltering in place’ and I couldn’t even get it delivered for 3 weeks so I used the 8″ x 8″ (2 quart) square pan I had on hand.
If you use a square pan, line it with parchment paper. You will be able to easily pick the cake out of the pan to serve.
Tip: Smear a strip of coconut oil on the sides and bottom of the pan to hold the parchment in place.
- Fresh blueberries work best but organic blueberries are often hard to find. I used frozen, they taste great and are easy to keep on hand. As you can see the frozen ones tend to bleed together a bit when cooked
- Always use fresh lemon juice, it is sweeter and fresher than the bottled kind.
- Once you mix the wet and dry ingredients together a chemical reaction occurs that helps the cake rise. WORK FAST, it’s important to get the cake into the oven as soon as the the chemical reaction happens or else your cake may fall a little flat.
The batter is a mix of almond flour, tapioca flour and coconut flour. I find that tapioca flour in any paleo baking recipe helps with texture. You can substitute arrowroot flour for the tapioca flour with great results.
As for sweeteners, my preference is maple syrup which gives it a light sweet flavor. Honey is also fine but it gives the cake a more dense texture.
You’ll love this cake, it’s all the goodness of spring and summer together in a cake and it’s perfect for Sunday brunch, afternoon tea and Mother’s Day.
Bake this cake with love. Enjoy every morsel. The taste is pure joy!
If you like this recipe try these other delicious cakes for Mother’s Day:
Raspberry Lemon Crumb Cake (paleo)
Red Velvet Cheesecake (vegan, paleo)
Raspberry Lemon Cheesecake (vegan, paleo)
Mind Blowing Lime Coconut Cheesecake (vegan, paleo)
Bittersweet Chocolate Tart (vegan, paleo)
Recipe updated June 16, 2022.Print
Lemon Blueberry Cake (Paleo Gluten Free)
- Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Yield: 12 servings 1x
Lemon Blueberry Cake is a moist lemon almond cake layered with juicy blueberries. It will become one of your favorite desserts to enjoy all spring and summer.
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, (52 grams)
- 2 1/2 cups blanched almond flour (280grams)
- 3/4 cup tapioca flour (90 grams)
- 1/3 cup coconut flour (40 grams)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Celtic sea salt
- 3 large pastured eggs
- 3/4 cup lemon juice, about 3 lemons
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest (organic is best), about 2 lemons
- 2/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups organic blueberries, fresh or frozen
- Pre-heat oven to 350° F.
- Gently melt coconut oil and set aside to cool.
- Line an 8”x 8” (2 quart) square baking pan with parchment or grease the bottom and sides of a 9-inch springform pan with coconut oil
- In a large bowl, combine the almond flour, tapioca, coconut flour, baking soda and salt together. Stir with a whisk or handheld electric mixer.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the eggs, lemon juice, lemon zest, maple syrup, apple cider vinegar, coconut oil, and vanilla. Mix with an electric mixer or whisk until evenly combined.
- Pour the egg mixture into the flour and mix with a hand-mixer on medium-high speed for about 30 seconds or until combined.
- Pour half the batter into the prepared pan. Top with 1/2 of the blueberries.
- Pour in the remaining batter and spread the rest of the blueberries on top of the batter.
- Bake in the oven for 55-60 min. until the cake is lightly brown and a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Cool for 20 minutes before removing from the pan. Let cool another 20 minutes.
- Cut and serve.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
Keywords: lemon blueberry cake, paleo cake, paleo lemon blueberry cake, paleo lemon cake, gluten-free cake
If you give this recipe a try, please let us know what you think! Give it some stars and leave a comment.
Also please take a picture and tag it #eat_well_enjoy_life on instagram so we can see! We love seeing your photos.
Would you like to have more of these delicious healthy recipes sent to you each week? CLICK TO SIGN UP for my weekly email newsletter of recipes and tips for you to eat well and enjoy your wonderful life.
Note: This post contains Amazon affiliate links. This means that if you click on a link and make a purchase, I will receive a small commission at no cost to you. Thank you for supporting Eat Well Enjoy Life.
This cake is so moist. Delicious.
Thanks Gail, I’m so glad you liked it. Happy cooking!
Baked this cake for my birthday and it was an absolute hit! So moist and tasty. Thank you for doing what you do
Oh WOW what a great idea making this cake for your birthday. Happy Birthday! Thanks for sharing how much you liked it. Enjoy your delicious food and wonderful life.
Baking in the oven right now. Cannot wait to try a piece 🙂
We are still able to get fresh, local wild blueberries. This looks delicious!
How fabulous Chelsea, fresh wild blueberries, it’s going to be amazing. Thanks for sharing! Happy cooking and eating.
I think this is my new favourite! This is a great recipe 😊
Waow that cakes looks really delicious and moist this recipe will surely help me to bake them for my wife thanks for sharing this informational recipe.
Thanks, what a wonderful gift to give to your wife. Happy Cooking!
Great lemon blueberry cake recipe! Thanks for sharing this recipe with us.
Thanks I’m thrilled you like it. It’s one of my favorite spring cakes.
It looks amazing. Thank you for sharing this recipe.
Thank you for your appreciation. You’ll enjoy it all summer long!