Peaches are in season now. Oh, the creamy texture and sweet peach smell. I love it and I’m making lots of recipes with them as they ripen.
I wait all year to make my favorite Tomato Peach and Avocado Salad. I also wanted to make a peach dessert. I could make Peach Cobbler or Sweet Spicy Grilled Peaches but I was really in the mood for a cake. So I came up with the idea of Peach Upside Down Cake.
As a food blogger, I’m used to making a recipe 3 or 4 times to be sure it’s going to come out not just good but divine. My partner, Roger, loves taste testing with me. It’s a good thing my family came last weekend, after the first 2 we couldn’t eat any more cake. They came and helped us out so I could make a 3rd one.
For the cake, I use coconut oil, almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda, coconut milk, honey, eggs, and vanilla.
The only butter is in the peach topping, but it can be made with ghee.
Since my daughter-in-law doesn’t eat dairy I made one version with butter and another one with ghee. They were both good but I like the butter version a little better.
The recipe is easy and can be put together in 25 minutes.
Start by melting the butter or ghee. Pour it into a 9″ cake pan, sprinkle with coconut sugar and top with sliced peaches. If you use ghee, grease the sides of the pan, it’s not necessary with butter.
The rest of the cake is made in a food processor and bowl. It’s actually pretty easy.
Sift the almond flour, coconut flour, salt and baking soda into a bowl. If you don’t have a sifter use a strainer.
I find weighing the flour is easier than measuring. I recommend getting a kitchen scale. It’s a very useful tool.
Since it’s hot in my kitchen the coconut oil is already melted. That’s one less step. If yours is solid gently melt it and then measure.
Put the melted coconut oil into a food processor with the honey. Process for 2 minutes. Add the eggs, vanilla and coconut milk and process. Pour into the bowl with the dry ingredients. Mix and pour over the peaches. Put it in the oven for 35 minutes.
Once the cake is done. Let it sit for 10 minutes before inverting it onto a serving plate.
It’s tender, fluffy, sweet and moist with a peach topping that’s baked right in. It’s really decadent, yet healthy.
Now let’s eat cake!Print
A paleo cake with simple ingredients that can be made in 1 hour. It’s moist and fluffy with a fresh peach topping baked right in.
- 2 cups almond flour (185 grams)
- 1/2 cup coconut flour (63 grams)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2/3 cup honey, softened if solid ( buy local honey if possible)
- 2/3 cup coconut oil, melted and slightly cooled(139 grams)
- 4 large pastured eggs
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons unsweetened full fat coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons organic vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup grass-fed butter or ghee (57 grams)
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar (96 grams)
- 2 cups peeled, sliced, ripe peaches
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Sift dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl.
- Measure all the other ingredients and melt the coconut oil.
- Melt butter or ghee.
- Pour butter into an ungreased 9″ round baking pan.*
- Sprinkle evenly with coconut sugar.
- Arrange peach slices in a single layer over sugar.
- Put oil and honey into the bowl of a food processor and process for 2 minutes.
- Add eggs, one at a time, while the processor is running.
- Add coconut milk and vanilla extract. Process until well combined.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Pour in the wet ingredients and mix using a rubber spatula or wooden spoon until smooth.
- Pour over the peaches and bake for 35 minutes or until a fork inserted comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Store cake for 2 days.
If using ghee, grease the sides of the baking pan.
Nutrition information is with butter.
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Paleo, Gluten Free, Farm to Table, Healthy, Seasonal, Vegetarian
If you like this recipe or find it useful, please click on the stars above and give it a rating. It helps me get more notice from Google.
Would you like to have more of these delicious healthy recipes sent to you each week? CLICK TO SIGN UP for my weekly email newsletter of recipes and tips for you to eat well and enjoy your wonderful life.