These Raw Zucchini Spinach Roll-Ups with Cashew Basil “Cheese” are a perfect summer appetizer. The individual rolls are fun to serve and easy to make. The “cheese” is vegan but so creamy and delicious even your non-vegan friends will love them. The vegan “cheese ” is protein rich from the macadamia and cashew nuts. Also highly alkaline from the spinach. If you don’t have macadamia nuts use all cashews. The macadamia nuts give them a more rich flavor, but they are good with all cashews too.
This dish requires a little prep but is quick to make. Soak the nuts in the morning or overnight.
They also make a nice main dish for your family with soup and/or salad. Enjoy
Here is the video:
Raw Zucchini Spinach Roll Ups with Cashew “Cheese”
Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Vegan, Paleo, Raw PRINT RECIPE
Yield: 16 rolls
4 cups torn spinach, all stems removed
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried thyme
½ tsp olive oil
¼ tsp celtic sea salt
- Place all ingredients in a bowl, mix and massage the spinach.
- Let marinate and wilt for 1 hour.
For the Cashew Basil “Cheese”
1/2 cup macadamia nuts, soaked at least 4 hours
1/4 cup cashews soaked at least 4 hours
1 Tb lemon juice
1 Tb nutritional yeast
½ tsp dried thyme
½ cup fresh basil
¼ tsp salt
1 tsp chopped garlic
¼ cup water
fresh ground pepper
- In a food processor or high speed blender process all ingredients together adding as little water as possible until you get a smooth consistency.
- Season with additional salt and pepper to taste
- Put ½ in a bowl, cover and refrigerate
For the Rolls
Cashew Basil “Cheese”
- Cut the ends off each zucchini.
- Using a mandolin or very sharp knife, slice long thin slices from the zucchini. You want the zucchini to be thin enough, about 1/16” so they roll easily without breaking.
- Keep slicing until you have 16 even size slices. Use the slices from the ends in a salad or sauté.
- On a flat surface, lay out a slice of zucchini, spread a layer of the Cashew Basil “Cheese” on the strip and smooth it out evenly over 3/4 of the strip, leaving some space at the end so the “cheese” doesn’t ooze out.
- Place a tablespoon of the spinach near the front end of the zucchini and start to roll
- When you get to the end set it on it its side
- Repeat the process until you use up all the ingredients
- Serve with tomato salad or dipped in tomato sauce.