This Southwestern Black Bean Salad tastes amazing, is incredibly beautiful and SUPER healthy. It’s the perfect dish to make up in advance to keep in the fridge for busy weeks, the flavors get even better as it sits.
I was inspired to make this salad this summer when my family was spending a lot of time at my house. Since we were outside, swimming, kayaking and playing in the sand I wanted a dish that I could make up in advance and be ready to serve immediately when everyone was super hungry.
I put together quinoa, black beans, mango and vegetables with cilantro and a lemon juice dressing to make a delicious combination. It’s perfect for lunch, snack or as a side dish.
Even though I don’t eat beans right now (too hard on my digestion) I think they are a super healthy food. My family loves them. Of course I tasted a little of it to make sure it was fabulous.
If you can digest beans I highly recommend eating them.
Health Benefits of Beans
- Beans are a delicious source of plant-based protein
- High in soluble fiber which helps reduce “bad” cholesterol levels
- The high fiber and protein content helps regulate blood sugar levels
- Supports fat metabolism
- Keeps you full longer, great for weight loss
- Increases the amount of butyric acid in the large intestine – butyric acid is the main driver of gut immunity, colon energy and microbial diversity
- High in antioxidants
The mango, quinoa, bell peppers, corn and cilantro make this salad tasty and really good for you. It’s full of vitamin C, vitamin A, fiber, folate, iron and lutein.
What Kind of Quinoa To Use
Quinoa is a seed that comes in a variety of colors; white, red and tri-color which is a blend of white, red and black. Red and tricolor work best in this type of salad because they have a firmer texture and hold their shape without becoming too mushy. White quinoa is the fluffiest so it’s best as a rice replacement.
Quinoa is rich in fiber, minerals, antioxidants and all nine essential amino acids, making it one of the healthiest and most nutritious foods.
This salad can be made year round with a few substitutions. It’s versatile and you can customize it.
- Leave out the corn if it’s not in season.
- If you can’t find mango, I made it a few times this summer with peaches (really good).
- You can use avocado instead of mango but don’t mix it in, serve it on top, it will not hold up as long as the rest of the salad.
- Use a combination of cherry tomato and bell pepper for a more interesting texture, color and flavor.
- Lime juice can be used instead of lemon.
- Parsley can replace the cilantro, I know some people don’t like the taste.
This Southwestern Black Bean Salad is healthy and delicious, savory & sweet, fiber & protein rich, and easy to make.
Besides being great to keep in the fridge for busy weeks, it’s also perfect for parties.
I like to make Southwestern lettuce wraps—serve spoonfuls of it on butter lettuce, topped with avocado. It’s makes a great side dish too!
If you like this recipe try these other delicious bean dishes:
If you give this recipe a try, please let us know what you think! Give it some stars or leave a comment. ♥
Would you like to have more of these delicious healthy recipes sent to you each week? CLICK TO SIGN UP for my weekly email newsletter of recipes and tips for you to eat well and enjoy your wonderful life.Print
This Southwestern Black Bean Salad tastes amazing, is incredibly beautiful and SUPER healthy. It’s the perfect dish to make up in advance to keep in the fridge for busy weeks.
- 15-ounce can black beans, no salt added, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup COOKED quinoa (red or tri-color is best)
- 1 cup fresh corn (optional)
- 1 cup red bell pepper, chopped (1 small)
- 1 cup chopped fresh mango, peach or avocado*
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 small jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Celtic sea Salt
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Mix together the beans, quinoa, corn, bell pepper, mango, onion, and jalapeño in a medium mixing bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, cumin, chili powder and salt.
- Pour over the bean mixture and toss.
- Add cilantro and taste to adjust seasonings.
- Serve or refrigerate.
- It will keep 3 or 5 days in the refrigerator.
If using avocado don’t mix it in, serve it on top, it will not hold up as long as the rest of the salad.
This recipe is adapted from The Plant-Powered Diet
Nutrition information is with corn and mango.
- Category: Salad, Side Dish
- Method: Chopping, Mixing
- Cuisine: Vegan, Southwestern
Keywords: Mexican salad, Quinoa salad with black beans and mango, Southwestern Black Bean, Quinoa and Mango Salad
Note: This post contains Amazon affiliate links. This means that if you click on a link and make a purchase, I will receive a small commission at no cost to you. Thank you for supporting Eat Well Enjoy Life.