This is a delightful sweet-tart dessert you can enjoy alone or topped with yogurt or whipped cream. It’s quick and easy to make with only 3 ingredients. It’s also super nutritious so you can eat it for breakfast too!
I love the combination of strawberry and rhubarb, it’s one of my favorite pie and cobbler fillings but if you want a quick and easy dessert, make compote instead.
I love it warm with whipped cream. Have it for breakfast with Greek yogurt, coconut yogurt or as a topping for pancakes.
Strawberries, rhubarb and sweetener are simmered over gentle heat to create this simple compote.
Since rhubarb is tart, use a combination of stevia and honey or maple syrup along with the strawberries to sweeten it.
When using stevia I like organic stevia leaves. It’s the purest form of stevia. Whole leaf stevia has been used as a sweetener in South America for hundreds of years. The stevia leaves are collected, dried and milled into a fine powder. It’s unprocessed. Stevia does not spike your blood sugar like other sweeteners, even natural ones.
Rhubarb is incredibly healthy. It is a good source of calcium. Michigan State University lists rhubarb as one of the top “fruits” you can eat to get your regular dose of calcium.
Rhubarb is high in antioxidants too! It’s full of phenolic acid, an antioxidant found in cherries, red cabbage, red wine and green tea that supports healthy skin and protects your body from free radical damage. A study published in 2012 found that rhubarb contains even more phenolic acid than nutrient-packed kale.
It’s also packed with fiber, to support good digestion and vitamin K, essential for blood clotting, strong bones and maintaining heart health.
Use only the stalks, the leaves are poisonous.
Strawberries are an excellent source of Vitamin C to support your immune system and folate, a B vitamin important for normal tissue growth and cell function.
Enjoy the recipe. It’s full of fruit, perfectly sweet, slightly tart and oh-so-simple to make.
Love the life you live. live the life you love.
Here are some other rhubarb recipes you may also like.Print
This is a delightful sweet-tart dessert you can enjoy alone or with someone you love, topped with yogurt or whipped cream.
- 2 cups rhubarb, about 3 stalks cut into 2” pieces
- 2 cups organic strawberries, cut in half
- ¼ cup honey or maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon stevia leaves to taste (optional)
- Cut up rhubarb and strawberries and put into a saucepan on medium low.
- Add honey, maple syrup and stevia (if using).
- Mix to combine.
- Cover and bring to a boil. Watch the pot carefully, stir to prevent from burning.
- Turn heat down to very low. Cover, cook for 5 minutes, until rhubarb releases liquid.
- Remove cover, stir and simmer, still on very low, for 3-5 minutes more until strawberries are tender but not mushy.
- Serve warm or chilled topped with yogurt, coconut yogurt or whipped cream.
Nutrition information is without any toppings.
- Category: Dessert, Breakfast
- Cuisine: Paleo, Vegan, Dairy Free
It is good with with coconut whipped cream.
Serve it with pancakes for breakfast. It is delicious topped with yogurt or ice cream too.
Enjoy the recipe.