This is a rich, satisfying vegan dish full of vibrant flavors and colors. The ginger aids digestion and is anti-inflammatory. The coconut milk provides good fat to give you energy and curb sugar cravings. I use lite coconut milk but I often make it with whole coconut milk for a richer taste. I like it both ways.
When I created this recipe I used broccoli and kale but sometimes I make it with cauliflower and spinach. It is a very flexible dish. Use the vegetables available in your market.
If you like hot spicy food add the red pepper flakes or Thai whole dried chiles which taste amazing but are very spicy. The red chili paste is mild and full of delicious Thai spices. It’s not very hot, spicy.
The red chili paste has a mild taste and full is of delicious Thai spices. It’s not very hot, spicy.Print
A rich, satisfying vegan dish full of vibrant flavors and colors.
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large shallots, minced (1/2 cup)
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes or 1/2 Thai chile, seeds removed (optional)
- 1 tablespoons chopped ginger
- 2 cups mushrooms sliced
- 1 tablespoon red Chili paste or to taste (Thai Kitchen is a good brand)
- 1 can whole or lite coconut milk (13.5 oz) (Organic Native Forest is good)
- 2 cups broccoli or cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 1 cup carrots, sliced
- 3 cups kale leaves, stems removed cut into thin strips
- Celtic sea salt to taste
- 1 lime
- Heat oil in a large sauté pan.
- Add shallots, sauté for a few minutes on low heat until they start to soften.
- Add garlic, ginger, red pepper flakes, sauté 1 minute, until fragrant.
- Add mushrooms, sauté on medium heat for 3 minutes until mushrooms give off a little liquid
- Add chili paste stirring it into the mushrooms. Sauté 1 minute.
- Add the coconut milk, stir to combine evenly.
- Add broccoli and carrots, to the pan. Stir to immerse vegetables into the coconut milk.
- Simmer on medium heat until the vegetables have lost their rawness and are starting to soften 3 minutes.
- Add the kale you may have to add it in batches until it wilts. Mix to coat with the coconut mixture. Sauté 2 minutes until kale is tender.
- Add salt to taste.
- Serve with a squeeze of lime.
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: Main Dish
- Cuisine: Thai, Paleo, Vegan