These Awesome Chipotle Chicken Tacos are full of juicy chicken, smoky chipotle, fire roasted tomatoes, zucchini, creamy avocado, and tangy lime. They come together in just 20 minutes and have lots of protein and vegetables that will make you feel strong, energized and satisfied for hours.
Why do we love tacos so much? I think it’s because it’s fun to pick up the tortilla and eat them with your hands.
When you touch your food your fingers release digestive juices and enzymes.
Eating with your hands helps stimulate digestive juices in your stomach. The nerve endings in your fingers relay the message that you’re about to eat. Also, you become more conscious of the taste, textures and aromas.
Connecting to your food enhances your body’s ability to utilize the energy from it and give you feelings of energy and movement and flexibility.
You’ll love to pick up these Chipotle Chicken Tacos and take a delicious bite.
This is what you do: Take onions, garlic, cumin, oregano, chipotles and make a sauce out of them.
I use canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, available in most grocery stores. They add a wonderful rich smoky flavor to the sauce. Even though you’re only using one or two the rest can be stored in a glass jar in the refrigerator for at least a month.
Blend the sauce then add the chicken and shredded zucchini.
Even though zucchini is not usually added to a taco filling, I’m always looking for ways to get more vegetables into my diet. It works very well here.
I use leftovers from a whole roast chicken. It’s a delicious way to serve the rest of your chicken the second day. But if you don’t have one already cooked you can buy a rotisserie chicken.
Mix everything together and simmer for 5 minutes to have your chipotle chicken for your tacos. It’s that easy.
Choose corn tortillas, flour tortillas (if you eat gluten) or make your own cassava tortillas.
To assemble, top the tortillas with the chipotle chicken and garnish with the avocado slices. The creaminess of the avocado goes so well with the spicy chicken. You really need it!
Then add cilantro, red onion, radishes and sprouts (or lettuce). A little goat cheese is also nice Choose the toppings you like. Serve with a lime wedge for squeezing.
These tacos make the perfect meal when you need something delicious and satisfying on the table fast. It’s a great meal to share with your family and friends.
These tacos will make you feel strong, energized and satisfied.
“Never underestimate how much assistance, how much satisfaction, how much comfort, how much soul and transcendence there might be in a well-made taco and a cold bottle of beer.” ~Tom Robbins
If you would like to have more of these delicious healthy recipes sent to you each week, CLICK TO SIGN UP for my weekly email newsletter of recipes and tips for you to eat well and enjoy your wonderful life.
Serve with Raw Lime Spiced Jicama Fries.Print
Chipotle Chicken Tacos are an incredibly satisfying high quality meal that comes together in just 20 minutes. The protein and vegetables give you energy for hours.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup onion, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1–2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3⁄4 cup canned crushed fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup chicken stock or water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Celtic sea salt
- 1 ½ cups shredded zucchini
- 2 cups shredded, cooked chicken (left over from a roast chicken is great)
- 6 tortillas, cassava, corn, or flour
- Cilantro, coarsely chopped
- Avocado, sliced
- Radishes, julienned
- Sprouts or shredded lettuce
- Goat Cheese (optional)
- Lime wedges
- Heat a large skillet over medium, add the oil and onion. Sauté for 4 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add in the garlic and cook for 30 seconds more.
- Stir in the chipotles, oregano, and cumin, and cook for 1 minute.
- Add in the tomatoes, stock, and salt. Bring to a simmer, lower heat and cook for 7 minutes until thick.
- Place the tomato mixture in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Return the blended sauce to the pan over low heat. Add the zucchini and chicken, and cook for 5 minutes. Taste and add more salt if necessary.
- Prepare the garnishes.
- Warm tortillas by wrapping in a damp towel and heating in a 400 degree oven for 5 minutes or until warm. Or place directly over a gas flame to char the edges. Place on a plate, and cover with a towel to steam.
- To assemble: top the tortillas with the chicken and garnish with the avocado slices, cilantro, red onion, radishes and sprouts (or lettuce). Serve with a lime wedge for squeezing.
- Leftover filling can be stored up to 4 days in the refrigerator or up to 1 month in the freezer.
I use two chipotle peppers for “medium” spiciness. If you want a mild version, just use one chipotle pepper. If you want it really hot add three.
Warming the tortillas is optional but recommended.
Nutrition information is with corn tortillas
- Category: Main Dish
- Cuisine: Mexican, Paleo Gluten-free, Dairy Free
Keywords: chipotle chicken tacos