I used romaine lettuce leaves for the taco shell. If you want something more substantial, try coconut wraps or vegetable wraps. They are available in many health food stores. They are gluten-free, grain-free tortillas A delicious, alternative to flour tortillas.
Plan in advance by soaking the cashews. They need to soak at least 4 hours. If you soak them in the morning they will be perfect for dinner. If you’re using dried sun-dried tomatoes they need to be soaked also. Sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil can be used right out of the jar.Print
- 4 cups Portobello mushrooms, stems discarded, chopped
- 2 Tb olive oil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp Celtic sea salt
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 3/4 cup red peppers
- 3/4 cup yellow peppers
- 1 Tb cumin
- ¼ cup sundried tomatoes soaked in water for 2 hours, chopped
- 1 Tb chili powder
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper (optional if you like it spicy)
- 1 Tb balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
Vegan Sour Cream
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked for 2 hours or overnight
- ¼– ½ cup water, as needed
- 1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4–1/2 tsp Celtic sea salt, to taste
For the Taco
Toppings (choose the toppings you like)
- Sliced avocado
- ¼ of a red onion, thinly sliced
- Vegan Sour Cream (recipe below)
- Jalapeño Peppers
- Diced tomatoes or salsa
- Green onion
- Fresh lime juice
- Hot sauce
- Heat the olive oil in a sauté pan. Add the oregano, garlic and mushrooms. Sprinkle with salt
- Cover and sauté on medium low for 4 minutes.
- Add the peppers and sundried tomatoes. Simmer on medium for 3-4 minutes until vegetables are just tender. There should be plenty of water from the mushrooms, but if the pan gets dry add a few tablespoons of water.
- Add the cumin, chili powder and cayenne.
- Cook 2 minutes or until the mushrooms are tender and there is no liquid in the pan.
- Add the balsamic vinegar and cilantro.
- Taste to adjust seasonings.
- Create your taco with toppings of choice.
- Finish with Vegan Sour Cream (recipe below) unless you want to go nut-free.
Vegan Sour Cream
- Place cashews in a bowl and cover with water. Soak for a minimum of 2 hours, preferably overnight or for 8 hours
- Drain and rinse the cashews and place in the blender.
- Add 1/4 cup of water, lemon, vinegar, and salt. Blend on high until smooth. You will probably have to stop and scrape down the blender now and then. Add a little more water to get it smooth if necessary.
- Once it’s smooth, taste and adjust seasonings. Transfer to a small container. The cream will thicken up as it sits.
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 10
- Category: Paleo, Vegan, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Bean Free, Nut Free (without vegan sour cream)
- Cuisine: Mexican
Would you like to have more delicious recipes that support good digestion, balanced hormones and stable blood sugar sent to you each week? CLICK TO SIGN UP for my weekly email newsletter with recipes and tips for you to eat well and enjoy your wonderful life.