This is one of the dishes we will be eating in the Summer Nourishing Foods Cleanse coming up August 1-5, 2016.
I love beets because they taste great and they’re extremely healthy for you. They are loaded with vitamins A, B and C, also high in fiber, manganese, folate and are a rare source of phytonutrients called betalains, which have been shown to have antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and detoxification qualities. For the best flavor choose small firm beets.
This delicious chickpea-free beet hummus is simple to make, super creamy and 100% paleo and vegan.Print
- 2 cups beets peeled and cut into chunks (3–4 small beets)
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon Celtic sea salt
- ¼ cup tahini
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- sesame seeds for garnish (optional)
- Put the beets in a medium enameled cast-iron pan with a lid.
- Add water to almost cover the beets and bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer until tender, 15-20 minutes
- Drain the beets and let sit to cool to room temperature.
- In a food processor, combine the beets with the garlic, coriander, cumin and lemon juice, pulse until finely chopped.
- Add tahini and olive oil process until puree is smooth. Taste to adjust seasonings.
- Scrape into a bowl. Refrigerate until chilled about 30 minutes.
- Serve garnished with sesame seeds.
- Category: Appetizer
- Cuisine: Seasonal, Paleo, Vegan, Gluten Free
If you give this recipe a try, let us know what you think! Leave a comment and rate it below – it’s super helpful to me and other readers.
Would you like to have more of these delicious healthy recipes sent to you each week? CLICK TO SIGN UP for my weekly email newsletter of recipes and tips for you to eat well and enjoy your wonderful life.