These Cherry Garcia Chocolate Chip Cookies are soft and chewy like “oatmeal” cookies but without any grains. They are chock full of chocolate chips interspersed with a little tartness from the dried cherries. They are dairy free and paleo with a vegan option. Everyone will love these cookies for the holidays or anytime.
The holiday’s are here and I am in full swing creating cookie recipes. Last week I shared my Triple Ginger Paleo Gingerbread Cookies which are divine. And I’m looking forward to making cookies with my grandson Avery next week when I join the family for the holiday.
It’s a good thing these cookies freeze well. I don’t want to overdo the cookie thing even if it is the holiday.
The best way to make cookies is using a kitchen scale. It is so much easier to weigh the ingredients than measuring them. You also get a more consistent result when you weigh the different flours, coconut oil, butter, almond butter and coconut sugar. For example if you weigh a cup of almond flour it might weigh anywhere from 100 to 120 grams depending on how you packed it, which will affect the recipe.
But don’t get discouraged, even if you don’t have a scale and measure the ingredients the recipe will come out fine. But think about getting one to make baking SUPER EASY.
You’re going to love these cookies! They are the perfect balance of sweet and tart. The unsweetened cherries have a little bit of tartness that tastes great with the sweet chocolate chips.
Dried cherries are high in antioxidants and have many health promoting qualities. The best taste comes from the unsweetened cherries if you can find them. The recipe can also be made with sweetened dried cherries or dried cranberries.
If you want to make the cookies vegan use a flax “egg” instead of a regular egg. It’s super easy just combine 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseed with 2 1/2 tablespoons water and let it sit for 10-15 minutes. FLAX EGG, yay!
The flax makes the cookies a little bit chewier than then the egg.
The dough is super easy to make and work with. Use an electric mixer to whisk together the coconut oil, almond butter, maple syrup, coconut sugar, vanilla and “egg.”
Once you add the flours mix with a rubber spatula or spoon until incorporated and add the dried cherries and chocolate chips. Don’t over mix.
Chill the dough for 15 minutes in the refrigerator to prevent the cookies from spreading too much when they go into the oven.
These cookies are great to bring to a party. They’ll stay fresh for many hours sitting out. If you’re planning to keep them for 3-4 days it’s best to put them in an air tight container. They also freeze well.
I hope you give these super amazing cookies a try. Bring them to a party, let your friends and family tell you how much they love them, then tell them they are “healthy” cookies. It’s so much fun to share desserts that taste good and are good for you too!
NOTE: For plain vegan chocolate cup cookies, leave out the dried cherries and add in 1/4-1/2 cup more chocolate chips.Print
Cherry Garcia Chocolate Chip Cookies (paleo, vegan)
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 14 cookies 1x
These cookies are chock full of chocolate chips interspersed with a little tartness from the dried cherries. They are soft and chewy like “oatmeal” cookies but without any grains. Amazing!
- 1 1/4 cups blanched almond flour (125 grams)
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour (30 grams)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup coconut oil at room temperature, solid but soft (56 grams)
- 1/4 cup smooth almond butter (60 grams)
- 1/4 cup organic maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar (24 grams)
- 2 teaspoons organic vanilla extract
- 1 egg or 1 flax egg = 1 tablespoon (6 grams) ground flaxseed mixed with 2 1/2 tablespoons water allowed to sit 15 minutes
- 1/2 cup dried cherries (unsweetened)
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- If you’re using the flax egg, prepare as described above and set aside.
- Sift together the almond and tapioca flours, baking soda, salt and cinnamon, and set aside.
- In a separate bowl with an electric mixer, cream together the almond butter and coconut oil until smooth.
- Add the maple syrup, coconut sugar, vanilla, beat until very smooth.
- Add egg or flax egg and beat on low until fully combined.
- Mix in the flour mixture, with a rubber spatula, or spoon until a sticky cookie dough forms.
- Fold in the cherries and chocolate chips.
- Chill the mixture in the fridge for 15 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Scoop 30 grams balls of the dough using a medium cookie scoop or tablespoon onto a cookie sheet about 2 inches apart to give them room to spread.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 12-15 minutes or until cookies are set in the center and beginning to brown around the edges. They will be soft but don’t over-bake to maintain a chewy texture.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool on the baking sheet for about 5 minutes, then carefully transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
NOTE: To make vegan chocolate cup cookies, leave out the dried cherries and add in 1/4-1/2 cup more chocolate chips.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 15
- Category: desserts, cookies
- Cuisine: Paleo, Vegan, Gluten Free
Keywords: paleo chocolate chip cookies, vegan chocolate chip cookies