These energy bars not only taste good but will help remove toxins and balance your blood sugar. The flax is full of omega-3 fatty acids. The almonds supply lots of protein. You can have them as a snack or for a quick breakfast.
The cacao nibs in this recipe are high in fiber and antioxidants. They are one of the purest forms of cacao. Cacao nibs are cacao beans that have been roasted, separated from their husks, and broken into smaller pieces. They taste like chocolate but are not sweet. They are said to be one of the world’s richest sources of antioxidants. They are also a great source of magnesium and iron, essential minerals required by the body.
Cherry Garcia Energy Bars
Makes 12 bars Vegan, Gluten Free, Dairy Free PRINT RECIPE
2 cups raw sprouted almonds* or raw almonds, soaked for 4 hours**
¼ cup golden flax seeds, ground into a meal in a spice grinder
¾ cup unsweetened dried cherries
¼ cup cacao nibs
2 Tb raw honey and 5-10 drops vanilla stevia (if you don’t eat honey add more stevia)
2 -3 Tb water
- Put almonds, flax, cherries, cacao nibs, honey and 5 drops of stevia in food processor
- Pulse until well ground, then pulse in water until the mixture begins to form a ball. Taste for sweetness, add more stevia to taste.
- Lightly oil a 6 x 8 baking dish with coconut oil.
- Remove mixture from food processor and press into the prepared dish.
- Chill for 30 minutes.
- Slice into bars and refrigerate for up to 7 days
- You can also freeze and take out as needed. They take about 5 minutes to defrost.
*Sprouted almonds are available in many health food stores. If you find them skip the soaking step.
**Note: You can use the pulp from making almond milk, it will be a little softer but still good.