Each day I aim to eat 7-9 cups of vegetables. That might sound like a lot but it’s actually not as hard as you think. If you are up for it, it is the number one thing you can do to make a difference in how you look and feel.
The vitamins and minerals in vegetables work together to benefit your skin and bones. Vegetables reduce the aging process and gives your skin a more youthful glow. Certain nutrients, like B vitamins and folate can even improve how you handle stress. Vegetables keep your body alkaline and reduce inflammation, the number one cause of all illness. Research shows a diet rich in vegetables reduces your risk of dying by 42%. Vegetables help prevent arthritis, heart disease, dementia and cancer.
One of my favorite strategies for getting more vegetables into my diet is to make a mixed vegetable dish with a great sauce.
Today’s recipe is quick and easy with broccoli, carrots and cabbage. The coconut milk creates a rich creamy sauce and the curry gives the vegetables a flavorful, fragrant taste.
Cabbage is key because it creates a medium for the sauce to hold onto. Thinly sliced kale will also work. I added broccoli and carrots but any vegetables you like can be used. If you’re short on time, a bag of frozen mixed vegetables makes it even easier.
The dish can be made mild or spicy depending on the curry powder. Use turmeric if you don’t like too much spice.
Eat these vegetables as a side dish with 2-4 ounces of chicken or fish. The recipe is enough for 2 servings with a little left over for lunch the next day. For a complete vegan dish add 1 cup of your favorite beans.
You will be amazed how easy it is to eat lots of vegetables with this fragrant, creamy sauce.Print
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1” inch piece ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 head broccoli, tops cut into florets, stems peeled, chopped (about 4 cups)
- 1 cup carrots, cut into half moons
- ½ cup water
- ¼–½ teaspoon Celtic sea salt (depending on if your curry powder has salt)
- 2 cups cabbage, very thinly sliced (kale is also good here)
- 1 ¼ cups canned whole coconut milk
- Heat the coconut oil a skillet on medium heat.
- When the pan is hot add the onion and cook, stirring until onions are soft, about 8 minutes.
- Add the garlic and ginger, and cook for another minute, until fragrant.
- Add curry and turmeric, stir.
- Add the broccoli, carrots, water and ¼ teaspoon sea salt. Cook, covered, for 2-3 minutes, or until the broccoli is bright green and most of the water is absorbed, stirring occasionally.
- Add the cabbage and coconut milk, turn up the heat until it begins to boil, then turn down to a simmer to cook for another 3-4 minutes, until the vegetables are tender.
- Taste to adjust salt. Serve warm.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
Until next time, have a fantastic day and enjoy the recipe. Please leave a comment below. I always love hearing about your health journey and what you enjoy cooking and eating.