Indian Vegetables with Coconut Lentils is a flavorful one pan vegan meal with a rainbow of vegetables in creamy red lentil sauce. High in protein super delicious.Here is a dish we are eating in the Nourishing Foods Winter Cleanse which will support your adrenals with good protein from the lentils and good fat from the coconut milk.
This dish has an abundance of different flavors given by a variety of spices like ginger, curry, cumin and turmeric. The spices will ease any inflammation in your digestive system.
The main ingredient, lentils, are widely used throughout India, Pakistan, the Mediterranean and the Middle East.
Lentils contain high levels of protein, which makes them a great protein source on a vegetarian diet. They also contain folate, Vitamin B, dietary fiber and minerals and are the best vegetable source for iron. They are hence very useful in preventing an iron deficiency.
The vegetables in this dish are alkalizing and packed with nutrients. I use cauliflower and string beans but you can substitute whatever is in you refrigerator. Keep the sweet potatoes for a nice sweet balance.Print
A flavorful one pan vegan meal with a rainbow of vegetable in creamy lentil sauce. High in protein.
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil or ghee
- ¾ cup onion, diced
- ¼ teaspoon Celtic sea salt, more to taste
- 1 teaspoon garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon Madras curry powder or other mild curry powder
- Pinch of cayenne (optional)
- ¾ cup red lentils
- 4 cups water
- 1 sweet potato, cut into 1 inch cubes (2 –2 ½ cups) unpeeled if organic
- 1 large carrot, diced (¾ cup)
- 1 ½ cups cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 ½ cups string beans, into 1 ½” lengths
- ¼ cup full fat coconut milk
- Maldon sea salt for garnish, optional
- Lemon wedges for garnish, optional
- Melt ghee or oil in a large sauté pan.
- Add onions and salt. Saute 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and ginger sauté on medium heat stirring occasionally until onions are soft another 2 minutes.
- Add, curry powder, turmeric and cayenne (if using). Sauté, stirring until spices are fragrant, 30 seconds..
- Add the lentils and water, bring to a boil. Simmer on medium 15 minutes.
- Add potatoes and carrots, cover and simmer 10 minutes or until the lentils and sweet potatoes are almost tender.
- Add cauliflower and string beans, cook 5 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in coconut milk. Taste to adjust salt.
- Serve sprinkled with a little Maldon sea salt and a squeeze of lemon.
Change up the vegetables according to what is in your refrigerator but keep the sweet potatoes for a nice sweet balance.
- Category: Main Dish, Indian
- Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten-Free