The great thing about kale salad is it keeps nicely so it can be made ahead and then brought to a party. There are no other green salads which still retain their appealing character, getting better as the evening wears on. The kale softens, the flavors deepen and become even more interesting and complex with the passing hours – that is of course if it doesn’t get eaten first. I just love kale, it is a superfood, high in antioxidants, vitamins and minerals. It makes my body feel good every time I eat it.
Kale & Quinoa Salad
Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Vegan
4 servings PRINT RECIPE
½ cup quinoa
1 cup water
3 Tb lemon juice
1 shallot finely chopped (1Tb)
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp ground cumin
¼ tsp Celtic sea salt
1 bunch kale* stems removed, finely chopped (4 cups)
½ cup red radishes very thinly sliced (about 5)
1 carrot julienne (1 cup)
¼ cup raw sauerkraut, squeezed dry, discard the juice
Fresh ground pepper
- Remove the stems from the kale by grasping the stems in on hand and striping the leaves off with the other. Save the stems for your smoothie or juice.
- Rinse the quinoa and drain in a colander. Boil the water in a small saucepan. Add the quinoa, bring to a boil, cover, turn down to low and cook for 15 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, shallot, cumin and salt. Whisk in the olive oil with a fork until it is emulsified.
- In a large bowl toss together the kale, radishes, carrots and sauerkraut.
- Add the quinoa and toss with the dressing.
- Taste for salt and sprinkle with fresh pepper.
*Dinosaur kale aka, lacinato or black kale is the most tender. The curly kale has more coarse leathery leaves. You can use it but be sure to slice it very fine. Make this dish with the youngest most tender bunches you can find.