This Sautéed Kale with Carrots is one of the easiest and most nutritious vegetable dishes you can eat. The bitterness of the kale mellows as you sauté it with garlic and sweet carrots. You’ll make everyone you know a kale lover with this dish.
Recently most of the supermarkets and health food stores near me started carrying baby kale. I love it. The leaves are tender and less bitter than the fully grown kale I’ve been eating for years. But even more fabulous, it is already washed and ready to go. All you have to do is put it into the pan. What could be easier?
There are only 3 ingredients in this recipe; kale, carrots and garlic. I love that! Yes there is olive oil, salt and red pepper flakes but those are kitchen staples. Start by sautéing the carrots in olive oil or avocado oil.
The sweetness of the carrots balances out the bitterness of the kale.
Add garlic to the carrots. Garlic is a strong aromatic that adds depth to the kale as it cooks in the hot oil releasing their fat-soluble flavors.
Then add the kale. Sautéing it in olive oil brings up the rich earthy flavor of the kale and keeps in all the the great nutrition. Read all the details regarding kale nutrition here.
Depending on the size of your pan, you may have to add the kale in 2 batches. Just make sure to keep the leaves moving for even cooking. Cook for 2-4 minutes.
Any type of kale can be used if you can’t find the baby kale. If you use curly kale or lacinto kale, wash the kale, strip away the stems and coarsely chop the leaves. Discard the stems or use in soup. This is an extra step you don’t need with the baby kale.
The final step is to add a splash of aged balsamic vinegar. This slightly acidic vinegar complements the sweet carrots and bitter kale. Once you season it with salt you have 4 of the 5 tastes that make your food super satisfying; sweet, salty, sour and bitter.
I have to say I eat twice as much kale now that I can buy baby kale, it’s so easy.
Since I try to eat 2 vegetable dishes at dinner each day, this is one of my favorites.
I’ve brought Sautéed Kale with Carrots to parties and people love it. They have changed their mind about eating kale. Instead of it being bitter and tough it’s sweet and tender.
I hope you incorporate this quick, easy, tender and satisfying kale dish into your weekly dinner rotation. Your body will thank you.
“Leafy greens such as romaine lettuce, kale, collards, Swiss chard, and spinach are the most nutrient-dense of all foods.” — Joel Fuhrman
This is one of the easiest and most nutritious vegetable dishes you can eat. The bitterness of the kale mellows as you saute it with garlic and sweet carrots.
- Heat a large sauté pan on medium low heat. Add oil.
- Once the oil is hot, add carrots. Sprinkle with Celtic sea salt.
- Sauté on medium-low for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally until the carrots begin get a little brown and slightly tender.
- Add garlic, sauté 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add kale and sprinkle with salt.
- Turn heat up to medium, sauté stirring frequently about 2-4 minutes or until the kale is tender. The amount of time will depend on how tender the kale leaves are. Taste to see if it is done to your liking. If the pan gets dry before your kale is tender add a splash of water.
- Sprinkle with balsamic vinegar or lemon. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Category: Vegetable, side dish
- Cuisine: Vegan, Paleo
If you give this recipe a try, please let us know what you think! Leave a comment or rate it.
Also please take a picture and tag it #eat_well_enjoy_life on instagram so we can see! We love seeing your photos.
Would you like to have more of these delicious healthy recipes sent to you each week? CLICK TO SIGN UP for my weekly email newsletter of recipes and tips for you to eat well and enjoy your wonderful life.
If you like this recipe try these other delicious kale recipes:
- Kale and Romaine Caesar Salad with Potato Croutons
- Roasted Butternut Squash with Crispy Kale and Pomegranate Seeds
- Sautéed Kale with Mushrooms and Carrots
Note: This post contains Amazon affiliate links. This means that if you click on a link and make a purchase, I will receive a small commission at no cost to you. Thank you for supporting Eat Well Enjoy Life.