Crispy Smashed Brussels Sprouts is a healthy green vegetable that’s incredibly delicious and easy to prepare. They have nice crispy edges and a tender, sweet center. The Brussels sprouts are boiled and smashed, topped with garlic and parmesan and roasted until golden. Even if you think you don’t like Brussels sprouts, you’ll like these. There is a vegan option too!
This is a simple recipe with only a few ingredients; Brussel sprouts, olive oil, garlic powder, parmesan or vegan parmesan, and balsamic vinegar.
I love them with the parmesan but if you’re not eating dairy right now they are also good with vegan parmesan.
The only chopping is to trim the bottom of the Brussels sprouts.
How To Make Crispy Smashed Brussels Sprouts
Here are the basic directions with more detail in the recipe card below.
- Trim – Start by trimming the brussel sprouts. Slice off only the very tip of the sprout so the leaves stay together. Remove any discolored leaves.
- Boil – Boil the Brussels sprouts in salt water, with enough salt that it tastes like the sea, to give them a firm succulent texture. Cook briefly until they are bright green and barely able to be pierced with a fork. DON’T OVERCOOK.
- Drain & Dry – Pour into a colander and run cold water over the sprouts to stop the cooking, then pat dry with a kitchen towel.
- Season – Put Brussels sprouts on a baking sheet. Toss with olive oil , garlic powder, ½ teaspoon salt and pepper.
- Smash – Arrange the sprouts in a single layer on the baking sheet, with space between each sprout. Flatten the Brussels sprouts with a mason jar or flat measuring cup.
- Top with Parmesan – Top each sprout with parmesan or vegan parmesan.
- Roast – Roast in the oven until golden brown on top and the edges are crispy.
- Remove from the pan – Let cool a few minutes to firm up. Use a spatula to remove from the pan onto a serving dish.
- Sprinkle with Balsamic Vinegar
Tips To Make The Best Crispy Smashed Brussel Sprouts
- Choose medium/small Brussels sprouts, they are sweeter than the big ones. Try and have them be all the same size so they cook evenly.
- When boiling BE CAREFUL NOT TO OVER COOK THE SPROUTS. If cooked too long they get mushy and release excess sulphur. That is the taste most people don’t like when eating Brussels sprouts. The goal here is to soften them just enough to be able to smash them. They will cook more in the oven.
- Grate the parmesan on the small holes of a box grater not the big ones.
- Be sure to dry them before putting onto the pan. This allows them to get nice crispy edges.
- Spread them out on the baking pan, don’t overcrowd. They need room to get crispy.
- If after 10 minutes of roasting they aren’t brown, put the baking tray in the broiler for 2-4 minutes to get a nice golden color. If you leave them in the oven too long they will overcook and get mushy.
Serve as a side dish with any type of protein. They make great little appetizers too.
Storing Crispy Smashed Brussels Sprouts
Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Reheat in a 350° oven for 5 minutes or lightly pan fry them covered. Don’t microwave, they will get soggy.
If you like this recipe, try these other easy, delicious, healthy vegetable dishes.
- Easy Sauteed Kale with Carrots
- Sauteed Spinach with Radicchio
- 5 Minute Green Beans with Garlic and Thyme
Would you like to have more of these delicious healthy recipes sent to you each week? CLICK TO SIGN UPfor my weekly email newsletter of recipes and tips for you to eat well and enjoy your wonderful life.
Note: This post contains Amazon affiliate links. This means that if you click on a link and make a purchase, I will receive a small commission at no cost to you. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Thank you for supporting Eat Well Enjoy Life.Print
Here is a healthy green vegetable that’s incredibly delicious and easy to prepare. These Brussels sprouts have nice crispy edges and a tender, sweet center.
- Cut the ends off the Brussels sprouts.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add 2 teaspoons salt.
- Once the water is boiling add the Brussels sprouts.
- Boil for 4-8 minutes until bright green and just about tender. The amount of time will depend on the size. DON’T OVERCOOK.
- Preheat the oven to 450°
- Drain the Brussels sprouts and spread on a kitchen towel to dry.
- Put Brussels sprouts on a baking sheet. Toss with olive oil , garlic powder, ½ teaspoon salt and pepper.
- Flatten each Brussels sprout with a mason jar or flat measuring cup.
- Arrange the sprouts in a single layer on a baking sheet, with space between each sprout.
- Top each sprout with a little parmesan. Try not to let the parmesan spread too much onto the baking sheet.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 10 minutes until the parmesan is deep golden and the sprouts are lightly charred underneath and around the edges. If they’re not yet brown put the tray under the broiler for 3-4 minutes until golden and crispy.
- Let cool for a few minutes to firm up. Remove from the pan with a spatula onto a serving tray. Sprinkle with the balsamic.
- Serve warm.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Vegetable, Side Dish
- Method: Boil, Roast
- Cuisine: Gluten Free, Dairy Free Option, Keto
Keywords: crispy smashed brussels sprouts, smashed brussels sprouts, easy vegetable