This deliciously Creamy Zucchini Soup is packed with nutrition and is easy to make. Since it’s high in protein and soothing to your digestive system it makes a great breakfast in the cold winter months instead of a smoothie.
This soothing puréed soup is super satisfying. Made with zucchini, onions, celery, garlic, cashews, broth and arugula. It can easily be made vegan using vegetable stock. This highly-nutritious soup comes together in just thirty minutes. And you don’t have to be fussy with the chopping since everything is blended.
Nutrient Rich Ingredients and Substitutions
This zucchini soup is made with simple ingredients available in your supermarket. It’s deliciously creamy, paleo, gluten free and can be made vegan with vegetable broth. This is what you need:
- Zucchini is a nutrient-dense vegetable, known for its gut-healing properties. Yellow squash can be substituted.
- Onions and Garlic are sulfur rich vegetables that nourish your mitochondria and contain antibacterial qualities.
- Celery is rich in antioxidants and contains insoluble fiber which is good for your gut.
- Arugula has more calcium and zinc than kale or spinach. The sharp pepper taste provides a nice balance to the creamy soup. Watercress or spinach can be substituted.
- Raw Cashews give the soup a rich creamy taste. Cashews help us feel satisfied and optimistic because they’re high in plant protein and rich in tryptophan, a neurochemical that our body turns into serotonin (the feel good hormone). They are also rich in magnesium and vitamin B6, both essential for keeping us in a good mood. If you don’t like cashews, substitute 2-3 tablespoons of almond butter, but it won’t be as creamy. For nut free, use 1 cup coconut milk and reduce stock to 3 cups.
- Ghee promotes good digestion by soothing the gastrointestinal mucosa. It supports and regulates healthy bowel movement. Read more about ghee. Olive oil can be substituted.
- Bone Broth is good for your joints and healing for your digestive system. Homemade is best. Vegetable broth can be substituted, it’s also full of nutrients.
How to Make this Creamy Zucchini and Arugula Soup
It’s incredibly easy to bring this all together! Here are the guidelines. It takes less than 30 minutes. The full recipe card is below.
- Start by soaking your cashews in boiling water while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Chop the onions, celery, garlic and zucchini. You don’t have to be fussy with the cutting since everything will be blended.
- Sauté the onions, celery and garlic in a soup pot.
- Add zucchini and saute briefly.
- Add broth and simmer until the zucchini is tender.
- Rinse and drain the cashews.
- Blend soup and cashews until smooth and creamy.
- Pour back into the pot. Add the arugula and heat until wilted about 2 minutes.
- That’s it you’re done.
Serving and Storing Creamy Zucchini Arugula Soup
Serve the soup topped with a sprig of arugula and and a sprinkle of lemon juice.
Store the soup in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
You can freeze the soup in an airtight container for up to 4 months.
This is the perfect soup for winter. I highly recommend it as a nice warm breakfast instead of a smoothie. It’s also great served for lunch with salad or gluten free crackers or as a starter for dinner.
It’s creamy, savory, simple and easy to make. It will make you feel happy and satisfied.
Please let me know how you like this recipe by giving it some stars or leaving a comment! I appreciate your feedback so much. If you have questions I will get back to you.
Would you like to have more of these delicious healthy recipes sent to you each week? CLICK TO SIGN UP for my weekly email newsletter of recipes and tips for you to eat well and enjoy your wonderful life.
Note: This post contains Amazon affiliate links. This means that if you click on a link and make a purchase, I will receive a small commission at no cost to you. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Thank you for supporting Eat Well Enjoy Life.Print
This deliciously Creamy Zucchini Soup is packed with nutrition and super simple to make. It’s high in protein and soothing to your digestive system.
- 1/2 cup raw cashews (see substitutions above)
- 1 Tablespoon ghee or olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 cup celery, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 7 cups zucchini, cut into chunks, (4–5 zucchini)
- 1/2 teaspoon Celtic sea salt plus more to taste
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 cups baby arugula coarsely chopped
- lemon juice for garnish
- fresh ground black pepper
- In a small bowl soak the cashews in boiling water.
- In a soup pot, heat the ghee or oil over medium-low heat.
- Add onion and celery and cook for 5 minutes until translucent.
- Add garlic, zucchini and ½ teaspoon salt. Sauté for another 3 minutes.
- Add stock, stir until well combined. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes until the zucchini is tender.
- Rinse and drain the cashews.
- Transfer the soup and cashews to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour back into the pot. Add arugula and mix until wilted. If the soup has cooled off heat until arugula is wilted, 1-2 minutes.
- Season with additional salt and pepper.
- Serve with a sprig of arugula and a sprinkle of lemon juice.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Simmer
- Cuisine: Paleo, Grain Free, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Vegan Option
Keywords: creamy zucchini soup, creamy zucchini arugula soup, zucchini soup, zucchini arugula soup