Spinach Egg Drop Soup is a great breakfast to fortify your body and keep your nervous system calm.
Eating it makes you happy and it only takes 3 minutes!
Yes, I said soup for breakfast. It’s actually the most popular breakfast in Asia.
This soup tastes light and savory. It gives you a warm and cozy feeling. It’s also high in protein. The best part, it’s very easy to make!
Broths have been a healing food for hundreds if not thousands of years. I like slow-cooked chicken broth (click here for recipe) but beef bone broth is also good.
Bone broth soothes your nervous system keeping you calm and balanced.
It’s great for healing the lining of your gut and assists in the digestion of hard-to-digest foods.
And it has many more benefits…
- full of electrolytes (magnesium, sodium and potassium)
- contains highly absorbable forms of minerals (calcium, phosphorus)
- contains lot of gelatin and collagen (keeps your joints, ligaments, tendons and bones healthy and reduces joint pain)
- helps with muscle recovery after working out
- strengthens nails and hair and makes them look gorgeous
- supports your immunity, less chance of catching a cold
- it’s great for your thyroid and adrenal glands
- reduces inflammation
If you prefer a simple herb-infused vegetable broth (click for recipe) that’s good too! Vegetable broths are calming, grounding, and nourishing to the kidneys and adrenals and assist in lowering your inflammation.
This recipe is very easy since there are only 4 ingredients; eggs, spinach, ginger and broth.
I recommend buying pre-washed spinach.
The ginger adds a nice flavor and supports good digestion. The easiest way to grate it is with a microplane.
Beat the egg and set aside.
Pour the broth into a sauce pan and add the ginger. Bring it to a boil over medium high heat. Once it’s boiling, reduce the heat to medium. Add the spinach. Let cook for 1 minute until wilted.
That’s it, your soup is done, add salt to taste. You have wispy bits of egg mixed in with the spinach. It’s quite lovely.
Top it with a little bit of red pepper flakes. I like to serve it with a few tablespoons of sauerkraut.
Sauerkraut is one of my favorite mood boosting foods. It provides healthy bacteria to build the flora inside your gut. The bacteria in the sauerkraut breaks down your food to make it more easily absorbed. You get more nutrients. Metabolism of the healthy bacteria releases B vitamins and amino acids that support your hormones and immune system. The lactobacilli make minerals more accessible to the body.
I hope you love this breakfast as much as I do. You can also have it for lunch or as a snack. It’s…
Easy to Make
If you feel you need more food for breakfast, have 1/2 of an avocado on the side. You’ll be full all morning long.
Would you like to have more of these delicious healthy recipes sent to you each week? CLICK TO SIGN UP for my weekly email newsletter of recipes and tips for you to eat well and enjoy your wonderful life.
If you like this recipe, please let us know what you think! Leave a comment or rate it.
A soup like this is not the work of one man. It is the result of a constantly refined tradition. There are nearly a thousand years of history in this soup.” — Willa CatherPrint
Spinach Egg Drop Soup is a great breakfast to fortify your body and keep your nervous system calm. Eating it makes you happy and it only takes 3 minutes!
- 1 pastured egg
- 2 cups bone broth or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger (use a microplane to grate your ginger)
- 2 cups spinach, coarsely chopped
- Himalayan sea salt to taste
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon cultured sauerkraut (optional)
- In a small bowl, beat the egg. Set aside.
- Add broth and ginger to a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Turn down to a simmer, add spinach and cook until wilted, about 30 seconds.
- Slowly stream in the beaten egg while stirring the soup in one direction.
- Turn off the heat.
- Pour into a bowl. Season with salt to taste.
- Sprinkle with red pepper flakes.
- Serve with sauerkraut on the side.
For a thicker soup use 1½ cups broth or 2 eggs.
Nutrition information is with 1 egg and 1 tablespoon of sauerkraut.
- Category: Breakfast, Soup
- Cuisine: Paleo, Gluten Free, Vegetarian Option
Keywords: spinach, soup, egg drop
Until next time, have a fantastic day and enjoy the recipe. Eat lots of vegetables to fill your body with energy and happiness. Please leave a comment below. I always love hearing about your journey and your thoughts and feedback on making your own delicious food at home.