It’s blueberry season so that means one thing, it’s time to make these Blueberry Crumb Bars! It’s an easy to make summer treat everyone will love. The fresh blueberries make them incredibly delicious.
These bars begin with an almond shortbread crust. Freshly cooked blueberries are layered on top and finished with a sweet crumb topping.
The good news is you only have to make one crust. The dough is divided and nuts are added to make the topping. It’s simple only one bowl required.
They’re so delicious you won’t be able to stop at one bar. But that’s okay. They’re made with pure ingredients; almond flour, coconut flour, coconut oil, vanilla and a little maple syrup.
They’re gluten-free, grain-free, vegan and ooooh so good!
The blueberries filling is super simple – just blueberries sweetened with a little maple syrup and a little arrowroot (or tapioca) to thicken.
Blueberries are super high in antioxidants to keep your body working well and promotes a more positive mood.
Blueberries are also wonderful for keeping your brain sharp. There is a 2012 study published out of Harvard that found that women who consumed two or more servings of strawberries or blueberries each week delayed memory decline by up to two and a half years.
You’ll be tempted to eat these Blueberry Crumb Bars right out of the oven like we were. The whole family dove in immediately. But they will fall apart, not a big deal they still taste amazing.
It’s best to let them sit for 30 minutes to firm up a bit. They’ll cut into beautiful squares with the warm blueberry filling oozing out, pure deliciousness!
You can keep them in the refrigerator for up to 3 days but they won’t last that long.
Once you make them you’ll discover how easy and delicious they are, You’ll enjoy these gooey, sweet, healthy bars all summer long.
“Forget who you are and why you’re here – all that foolishness. In the woods the bushes are full of blueberries; go and pick some.” ~Print
Blueberry Crumb Bars (paleo, vegan)
- Total Time: 60 minutes
- Yield: 9 bars 1x
These are an easy to make summer treat everyone will love. The fresh blueberries make them incredibly delicious.
- 1 ¾ cups blueberries, organic is best
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or honey
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot starch
Almond Shortbread Crust
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil, 74 grams
- 2 cups almond flour, 224 grams
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- ¼ teaspoon Celtic sea salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup maple syrup or honey
- ¼ almond shortbread crust mixture
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- In a saucepan combine the blueberries, maple syrup. lemon juice, arrowroot and pinch of salt together. Mix to dissolve arrowroot.
- Cook over medium-low heat, stirring and mashing the blueberries to help them break down. Cook for 3-5 minutes until blueberries are thickened and no large pieces remain.
- Let the pot cool and refrigerate while you prepare the crust.
Prepare the Almond Shortbread Crust
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line an 8 or 9” square pan with parchment paper.
- Melt the coconut oil, in a small pan on low heat.
- In a medium bowl, combine almond flour, 2 tablespoons coconut flour, salt, vanilla, maple syrup and coconut oil.
- Mix together until everything is evenly combined.
- Take ¼ of the mixture (about 100 grams) and set aside for the crumb topping.
- Add 1 tablespoon coconut flour to the remaining 3/4 of the shortbread mix.
- Press the remaining ¾ of the mixture into the bottom of the pan and bake for 10-12 minutes, until golden brown around the edges.
- Let cool 5 minutes.
While the bottom crust is cooling prepare the Crumb Topping.
- Add chopped walnuts to the remaining dough and mix until evenly combined.
- Spread the blueberry sauce on the bottom crust then sprinkle the crumb topping evenly on top.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let cool for 30 minutes until berries are no longer runny.
- Cut into 9 squares and serve.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Dessert, Snack
- Cuisine: Seasonal, Farm to Table, Paleo, Vegan
Keywords: blueberry, fruit dessert, crumb bars, healthy dessert
If you like this recipe you may also like these.
If you would you like to join our community of heart-centered individuals, creating an energy of joy, well-being, and appreciation in the world CLICK TO SIGN UP for my weekly email newsletter of recipes and tips for you to eat well, stay healthy and enjoy your wonderful life.