In our Nourishing Foods Winter Cleanse this week we are using Maca and other adaptogens to support our adrenal glands. Those are the cute little glands that sit on top of our kidneys that manage your body’s hormonal response to stress.
An adaptogen is an herb with the unique ability to “adapt” to your body based on what you need. This means an adaptogen will calm you down if you are stressed or boost your energy if you are fatigued.
Here is one of the recipes from our cleanse for you to enjoy.
These little balls will satisfy your cravings and give you energy. The protein and fat in the walnuts and hemp balance out the sweetness from the dates. The magnesium in the cacao improves your mood and the maca gives you energy.
Take a few with you if you are going to be out all day just in case you don’t get to have lunch. Don’t get caught without something healthy to eat. Three or four of these little balls will balance your blood sugar until you get home. You won’t be tempted to eat something crappy.
They are easily made in a food processor. I store them in the freezer. They defrost in 5 minutes for a quick pick me up. Store in the refrigerator for up to a week or in the freezer for 2 months.Print
These tasty little chocolate balls will satisfy your cravings and give you energy.
- ¼ cup walnuts
- ½ cup hemp seeds
- ¼ cup shredded coconut
- pinch of Celtic sea salt
- ½ cup chopped Medjool dates (6-8)
- 3 Tb raw cacao powder
- 2 Tb melted coconut oil
- 3 Tb maca powder
- ½ tsp vanilla
- ¼ cup hemp seeds or coconut
- In a food processor, process the walnuts, ½ cup hemp seeds, coconut and a pinch of sea salt until fine.
- Add the dates, cacao, coconut oil, maca and vanilla.
- Process until the mixture holds together well
- Scoop out a rounded teaspoon of the dough then roll in your palm to form a ball. Roll in hemp seeds or coconut.
- Repeat to use up all the dough. You will get about 28 little balls.
- Enjoy a few immediately
- Store the rest in the refrigerator for up to a week or freeze for up to 2 months
- Category: Snack
- Cuisine: Healthy, Paleo, Vegan
Let me know how you like these little treats. I always love hearing from you.