Cabbage is an under appreciated vegetable. Yes it’s true, cabbage can be bland and boring, but it depends on how you cook it. In this recipe I slice cabbage into 1″ “steaks” and roast it with lots of garlic and rosemary. The result is a moist, luscious vegetable, infused with an herbal garlicy flavor. It is easy to prepare, inexpensive and delicious.
Cabbage is powerful. Ancient healers declared it contained moon power because it grew in the moonlight. There are a number of reasons to eat cabbage:
- First, cabbage is high in powerful antioxidants found in cruciferous vegetables. Antioxidants play a significant role in your health, they control how fast you age by fighting free radicals.
- Second, it’s a brain food! It is full of vitamin K and anthocyanins that help with mental function and concentration. These nutrients also prevent nerve damage, improving your defense against Alzheimer’s disease, and dementia.
- Third, it helps detoxify the body. The high content of vitamin C and sulphur in cabbage remove toxins from your body.
There are only a few ingredients in this recipe which always makes it easy. Cabbage, garlic, olive oil, rosemary, salt and pepper.
Remove outer leaves from cabbage and trim bottom stem even with the leaves. Sit the cabbage on your cutting board with the root on the bottom. This is important so the leaves stay together.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place the slices onto a baking tray. Use either your fingers or a brush to spread the olive oil on one side of the cabbage and season with salt and pepper.
Sprinkle evenly with half the minced garlic. Try to get it into the layers of the cabbage a bit.
Sprinkle with half the rosemary. Turn them over. Repeat on the other side.
Roast in the oven for 20 minutes. Turn the slices over and roast again for another 20 minutes until they are lightly brown and tender.
Since this only takes 10 minutes to prepare, it is an easy weeknight vegetable side dish. It can also be a vegetarian dish served with portobello mushrooms and roasted sweet potatoes.Print
An easy to make vegetable side dish with only 5 ingredients.
- 1 large green cabbage cut into 1” thick slices
- 3 Tb extra virgin olive oil
- 5 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried
- Celtic sea salt and fresh pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Remove outer leaves from cabbage and trim bottom stem even with the leaves.
- Sit the cabbage on your cutting board with the root on the bottom. Cut cabbage from top to bottom into 1” slices
- Using a pastry brush or your fingers, brush/rub one side of each slice with the olive oil, season with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle evenly with half the minced garlic, pressing it into the cabbage a bit.
- Sprinkle with half the rosemary
- Turn them over. Repeat on the other side.
- Roast in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Turn the slices over and roast again for another 20 minutes until they are lightly brown and tender.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Category: Vegetable
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Vegan, Paleo, Gluten Free
If you don’t usually eat cabbage, give this dish a try. You’ll be pleasantly surprised how easy and tasty it is.
Let me know how it comes out for you.