If you’re looking for a delicious satisfying spring vegetable dish that’s easy to make this Green Cauliflower Mash is the one for you.
I have seen green mashed potatoes on restaurant menus and in food magazines recently but since I prefer cauliflower mashed potatoes I thought why not make it with cauliflower instead of potatoes. To celebrate spring I add in peas and dill which give the cauliflower mashed potatoes a fresh green taste. Mint is also a great herb to use in this dish if you like it. I’m not a big mint fan but it goes great with peas.
I love butter. It used to be considered unhealthy because it contains saturated fat. But the saturated fat myth has been shown to be incorrect. The new research shows grass fed butter is good for you. It is considered one of the healthiest fats on the planet.
The fatty acids in butter can affect our body in ways that are very good for us. Butter is a great source of a short-chain fatty acid called butyrate, which helps fight inflammation. It is high in CLA (conjugated linoleic acid) which reduces body fat, cardiovascular diseases and cancer, and modulates immune and inflammatory responses as well as improves bone mass. (1) But if you are vegan or you just don’t eat butter that’s OK, this dish can be made with a full bodied olive oil instead.
Cauliflower mash potatoes are easy to make in a food processor. Simply cut up the cauliflower into chunks and steam until soft but not mushy. It usually takes about 15 minutes. Add to the food processor along with butter (or olive oil) and salt. Process until mashed and put into a separate bowl.
Frozen organic peas are easy to use. Once the cauliflower is done drop them into the water used for steaming the cauliflower for 2 minutes to defrost. Add the peas and dill to the processor, no need to wash it, process until chopped but not pureed. You want to have a little texture.
Fold the peas into the cauliflower, season with Celtic sea salt and pepper and you’re done.
Believe me, this Green Cauliflower Mash is super easy to make and it gets delicious protein from the peas; about 9 grams for every cup.
Green Cauliflower Mash is creamy, buttery, laced with the perfect amount of herb flavor, soft and velvety with just the right amount of texture, all with just a few minutes of prep. Enjoy it!
A spring vegetable dish that’s creamy, buttery, laced with the perfect amount of herb flavor, soft and velvety with just the right amount of texture, all with just a few minutes of prep.
- 1 medium head cauliflower, cut into chunks
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas, plus more for garnish
- 3 tablespoons organic, grass fed butter (I like Kerry Gold) (olive oil for vegan)
- Celtic sea salt & fresh black pepper
- 1/4 cup lightly packed fresh dill or mint
- Steam cauliflower until tender but not mushy, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer to a food processor. Add butter and salt. Process until smooth.
- Remove from the food processor into a bowl.
- Drop the peas into the water used to steam the cauliflower. Let sit 2 minutes and drain.
- Add the peas to the food processor with the dill, pulse until finely chopped. Season with salt and pepper.
- Fold the pea mixture into the cauliflower.
- Serve garnished with peas and dill.
Use a full flavored cold pressed olive oil for vegan option.
- Category: Vegetables
- Cuisine: Seasonal, Paleo, Gluten Free, Vegan (option)