In this recipe I coat chicken breasts with an Immunity Boosting Spice Mix and grill it for 5 minutes to create a well-seasoned dish that will satisfy your taste buds and support your health. If you don’t have a grill you can cook it in a cast iron pan.
I love having various spice mixes on hand to make cooking dinner simple and delicious. Spice mixtures are a convenient way to flavor your food and support your health in just minutes. Instead of buying spice mixtures I prefer to make my own.
Here are a few reasons I create my own spice mixes.
- It makes preparing food quick and easy
- I can customize them to my own tastes
- Store bought spice mixtures often contain unknown ingredients such as natural flavors or spices (who knows what that means?)
- Purity of ingredients – high quality sea salt, no gluten, no MSG
- Fresher and more powerful
- They are less expensive
Instead of making just what I need for the meal I make up a batch of the spice mix to have on hand for a few meals. When dinner comes is saves lots of time.
My 2 favorite spices mixes are Blackened Spices and the one below.
Immunity Boosting Spice Mix
The 7 spices in the Immunity Spice Mix are nutritional powerhouses that taste great and support your immune system. They help reduce inflammation, assist in weight loss and soothe anxiety.
- Turmeric is a detoxifying agent. It naturally cleanses the liver and has antiseptic and antibacterial properties. Since this spice is anti-inflammatory it reduces your risk of cancer and helps with weight management. Turmeric also treats Alzheimer’s, depression and arthritis. Turmeric is best absorbed when paired with a healthy fat.
- Black pepper is a natural anti-inflammatory and helps maintain a healthy colon. When combined with turmeric it increases the bioavailability of the active ingredient curcumin 3-fold. Black pepper heats the body to help deepen the affect of the rest of the spices.
- Cumin improves energy and helps balance blood sugar. Cumin improves digestion by stimulating the pancreas to produce more pancreatic enzymes. It supports the proliferation of good microbes as well as detoxification of the intestinal tract.
- Coriander is an antibacterial and detox spice that helps the liver chelate metals. It is high in Vitamin C to support the adrenals. Its properties are enhanced when combined with fennel.
- Fennel is one of the best spices available to relieve constipation. It stimulates the secretion of digestive juices to improve the absorption of nutrients from food. It is one of Ayurveda’s favorite lymph movers.
- Ginger helps kill bad bacteria and viruses making it great for preventing and healing colds. It is a natural anti-inflammatory spice that soothes and relaxes your intestinal tract.
- Cinnamon has been shown to stabilize blood sugar. It is used to balance digestion and inhibit bacterial growth.
Combining these spices together keeps you healthy and energized. They boost your immunity and provide support to every organ and gland in your body.
To make the grilled chicken, I start by slicing the chicken in half horizontally. This way it cooks quickly and the spices don’t burn.
Spread 1- ½ tablespoons of the immunity spice mix out on a plate. I like a lot of spice so I use 1 1/2 tablespoons.
Rub both sides of the chicken with a little coconut oil and press each side of the chicken onto the spices. Both sides should be lightly covered with the mix.
It is good to put a little more oil on the chicken to prevent it from drying out and to brown the spices nicely. Put 1 tablespoon coconut oil onto a plate and put 2 of the chicken breasts into the oil to get a light coating on both sides. Repeat with the remaining tablespoon of coconut oil and 2 chicken breasts.
Make sure your grill is very hot and well oiled. Grill for 3 minutes on one side and 2 minutes on the other. Serve hot or cold.
Other ways to use the Immunity Boosting Spice Mix
- Sauté the spices in ghee and drizzle on steamed vegetables, rice or other grains.
- Sauté the spices in coconut oil and add vegetables for a delicious sauté.
- Sprinkle or rub on chicken.
- Add to soups and stews.
Immunity Spice Mix
- 3 tablespoons turmeric
- 1 ½ tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 ½ tablespoons ground coriander
- 1 ½ tablespoons ground fennel
- 1½ teaspoons dry ginger
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 ½ teaspoons Celtic sea salt
Grilled Chicken with Immunity Spice Mix
- 1 ¼ lb chicken (2 breasts)
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted and divided
- 1– 1 ½ tablespoons immunity spice mix (I use 1 ½ Tb since I like a lot of spice)
Immunity Spice Mix
- Mix everything together and store in a glass jar.
Grilled Chicken with Immunity Boosting Spice Mix
- Heat a grill on high.
- Cut the 2 chicken breasts in half horizontally. You now have 4 pieces.
- Spread 1- ½ tablespoons of the immunity spice mix out on a plate.
- Rub both sides of the chicken with a little coconut oil and press each side of the chicken onto the spices. Both sides should be lightly covered with the spices.
- Put 1 tablespoon coconut oil onto a plate and put 2 of the chicken breasts into the oil to get a light coating on both sides. Repeat with the remaining tablespoon of coconut oil and 2 chicken breasts.
- Oil the grill. Place chicken onto the hot grill.
- Grill for 3 minutes until lightly browned with nice grill marks
- Using tongs, turn the chicken over. Grill on the other side for 2-3 minutes until chicken is cooked through. It will be firm to the touch.
- Serve warm or save for later and serve cold, either way it is delicious.
If you are making up the spice mix the prep will be around 20 minutes depending on how organized your spices are.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 5 mins
- Category: Main Dish
- Cuisine: Paleo, Healthy
Would you like to have more delicious recipes that support good digestion, balanced hormones and stable blood sugar sent to you each week? CLICK TO SIGN UP for my weekly email newsletter with recipes and tips for you to eat well and enjoy your wonderful life.
I love the smell of the grill and the spices. The taste of the lime, cilantro and all those spices makes an amazing summer dish. Serve with Cauliflower Rice or on top of salad greens with juicy summer tomatoes.
Enjoy the recipe and use the Immunity Boosting Spice Mix on many dishes to support your health.