How To Properly Meditate…Is There One Right Way?
I highly recommend a daily meditation practice for health and happiness.
Scientific research has found, when you meditate, your breathing slows, blood pressure decreases, and stress hormone levels fall. If I told you there was a pill to do this would you take it? If I told you, you had to sit for 5-10 minutes quietly to ingest this pill, would you? So here it is your magic pill.
In meditation your body and mind release accumulated stress, tension, fear and confusion. You regain your natural state of balance, joy, and calm. Being in this more relaxed place enables you to open up to your own brilliance, your creativity and inner guidance.
Meditation makes you healthier. Every cell in your body is connected to source energy. If you can get out of the way, and by that I mean stop thinking and controlling, your cells will communicate to work together and create health. How do you know you are out of the way, you feel satisfaction. How do you know you are in the way, you are worried about something.
A recent study shows meditation increases the production of an enzyme called telomerase, which protects telomeres from shortening. Telomeres are the caps at the end of each strand of DNA that protect our chromosomes, like the plastic tips at the end of shoelaces. Telomerase prevents the ends of your DNA from fraying. If the DNA strands become damaged your cells age and stop functioning properly These chromosomal caps protect your cells from aging, degeneration and disease. Chanting, deep breathing, yoga and other practices also increase the activity of telomerase in your body.
Mediation is the easiest way to release resistance and feel your natural state of joy and satisfaction. It’s hard to go from a negative thought to a positive one. It is much easier to go from a worried or negative thought to no thought. This is what you do in meditation.
Is there a way to properly meditate?
There is no one proper way to meditate. The goal of meditation is to quiet your mind. Think of it like listening with full attention. But instead of listening to someone speak you’re listening to your breath, a mantra or a guided meditation.
Any type of meditation is good as long as you stop thinking.
When you sit and quiet your mind, you stop your thoughts and you stop the momentum of whatever is going on in your life. When you stop thoughts that are working against you; worry, pressure, overwhelm, then your natural state of joy flows.
The practice of meditation allows you to tune in, find the peace within and get in touch with the field of infinite possibilities. The ultimate goal is to drop into the space between your thoughts. This is the corridor to the infinite mind – infinite creativity and infinite imagination. You don’t do this with your mind, you stop the chatter and it happens automatically.
Many of my clients tell me it is hard for them to meditate. They say they can’t stop their thoughts. I understand completely and it’s OK.
If you meditate for 15 minutes and get one minute of a quiet mind
you’re doing great.
With practice, you will be able to experience the silence longer. You will feel a sense of joy and satisfaction, a feeling that all is well.
Tips on How To Properly Meditate
You can see meditation has many health benefits. It’s a wonderful practice to include in your life. Here are a few guidelines.
- Meditate at the same time each day.
- Aim for 15 minutes daily. Sometimes it takes 13 minutes to quite your mind.
- It is good to meditate when you wake up in the morning. Morning is the best time to achieve optimal brainwave states. It’s also a beneficial time because it prevents your busy schedule from getting in the way.
- Meditate in the same place. Sit in a comfortable place with a backrest if necessary, don’t slouch. If you have to, lie down.
- Honor yourself for meditating. Let go of any judgment. Even if you don’t feel you could quiet your thoughts, the simple act of returning to the mantra quiets your mind and connects you to your divine self.
- If you notice you have other thoughts while you are meditating, that’s fine. Let your attention come back to your breath or mantra. Let yourself easily favor the mantra over the thoughts.
- You don’t need to search for the peace within, following the meditation practice will automatically bring you to that experience of the self. In time, that state of awareness becomes stronger, more persistent in and out of meditation.
Here are a few meditations and additional information on how to properly meditate.
If you would you like to join our community of heart-centered individuals, creating an energy of joy, well-being, and appreciation in the world CLICK TO SIGN UP for my weekly email newsletter of recipes and tips for you to eat well, stay healthy and enjoy your wonderful life.