I has be quite a week doing the Nourishing Foods Cleanse while staying at a friends house. I so appreciate the hospitality of my friends. They have embraced the delicious meals I prepared for the cleanse. This is the reason I love this cleanse, anyone can enjoy the healthy satisfying foods even if they are not cleansing. This is one of the dishes from the Fall Cleanse. Pomegranates are available in the stores right now so give it a try.
The sweet tart flavor of the pomegranate seeds mixed with the pears makes this a perfect fall salad.
Pomegranates are high in vitamin C and numerous B vitamins. Pomegranates are considered as super food because they are high in antioxidants, which are believed to fight the free radicals that might contribute to chronic diseases such as cancer. They make a fun addition to any salad.
Quinoa Salad with Pears and Pomegranate Seeds
Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Vegan
2 Tb apple cider vinegar
1 small shallot, minced (1 Tb)
Celtic sea salt and freshly ground pepper
3 Tb extra-virgin olive oil
2 cups Thyme-Scented Quinoa or plain cooked quinoa
1 large firm ripe pear, peeled cored and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 1 cup)
½ cup pomegranate seeds (from 1 pomegranate)
¼ cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- In a small bowl, whisk the oil with the vinegar and shallot and season with salt and pepper. This dressing will be a little tart since the salad is sweet.
- In a medium bowl mix the quinoa, pears, pomegranate seeds and parsley. Pour the dressing over and mix.
- Taste to adjust seasoning.
- Serve & enjoy!
Thyme Scented Quinoa
Makes 2 cups about 4 servings
1 cup quinoa rinsed and drained
2 cups water or stock
1/4 tsp Celtic sea salt
1 small onion diced
3 thyme sprigs
- Heat stock, salt and onion in medium saucepan.
- Add quinoa and thyme. Bring to a boil. Cover and turn down to low.
Cook 15 minutes until water is absorbed.
- Let sit 5 minutes. Remove thyme sprigs.
- Serve or refrigerate for later.