I am having great fun and great food working on the recipes for the Nourishing Foods Cleanse – Spring Renewal April 15-19. This recipe is one I came up with the other day and I totally love it. My intention is to make recipes that are easy and delicious. One of the biggest problems I hear from my clients is they don’t have time to make healthy food. So I created this one is which is super easy, you can make it in 5 minutes. If you put together a repertoire of healthy dishes you can make in under 15 minutes you are more likely to eat a healthy meal. The kelp noodles are full of minerals which buffer the acids in your system. I am always focused on eating alkaline food to keep my body’s pH neutral or slightly alkaline. Your body regularly deals with naturally occurring acids that are by products of respiration, metabolism, cellular breakdown, and exercise. Kale is a super food also full of vitamins, minerals which are alkalinizing. It is one of the top 5 of Whole Foods ANDI score. Avocados are full of good fat with tons of nutritional benefits. They are an excellent source of glutathione, a powerful antioxidant. Glutathione helps maintain a healthy immune system and slows the aging process. You can find out more about kelp noodles in the article on my blog.
1/2 large avocado
6 oz kelp noodles (2 cups or half the package)
3 cups kale stems removed and very thinly sliced (lacinato is best but curly is fine, be sure you slice it really thin)
¼ cup sauerkraut
1 carrot julienned or shredded
Juice of half a lemon
Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Mix the kelp noodles, carrots, sauerkraut and kale together with the lemon.
- Add the avocado and smash it with a fork, then use your hands to “massage” it all together.
- Taste for salt. Sprinkle with fresh pepper.
A few notes…
- If you can’t find the kelp noodles make the dish with 2 cups of cabbage very thinly slice. It will be delicious and nutritious too.
- If you don’t have any raw sauerkraut you can leave it out. I like to make recipes with raw sauerkraut to get the live probiotics into my system to build good intestinal flora. The recipe is great either way.